[SOLVED] High CPU usage, insane fps drops

Jun 29, 2020
Hi. So over the past few months of quarantine, I've been encountering numerous problems with my laptop (core i5 9300h, 8gb ddr4 2667 MHz, GTX 1050 4gb) and I've finally come to the conclusion that the root cause was the HDD. Long story short, I removed my Seagate 1tb SATA HDD with an m.2 512 GB. The thing is, the problem persists (though at a much more tolerable rate) and I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm down 100 bucks (which isn't much, but I'm a student) and I really would like to avoid changing my laptop.

What I've noticed so far is that whenever my games stutter, I would alt-tab and go to my task manager and lo and behold, my CPU usage would be fluctuating from 40-90ish back to 40. I haven't tried any other games on my SSD except for CSGO, but prior to that I'd tried the witcher 3, rocket league and overwatch so I know that the problem is with the laptop itself and not the game. As for temperatures, I really don't know what the green/red areas are, but for the CPU while under the turbo setting is usually a solid 90ish. The GPU gets an 87.

T;DR: high, fluctuating CPU usage, stuttering and low fps. Thought the problem was with my storage but turns out it wasn't.

Solution
You might be able to lower the max clock speeds slightly of CPU and /or GPU, perhaps try performance mode in power plan, and perhaps prevent the potential slowing down...

Does HWMonitor show any troubling temperatures?
Jun 29, 2020
ram usage?
malware scan?
Malware isn't likely. As I've said I removed the HDD and replaced it with an SSD, I literally bought it yesterday. It shouldn't come with any programs other than windows and the pre-installed Asus apps.

For the ram usage, I don't know. I'd assume its pretty normal, but I'll check again later

TRENDING THREADS