High cpu usage on svchost > dsmsvc

BadNight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
What does dsmsvc do? Can I turn it off? The only thing I installed recently was macrium reflect, but I uninstalled that. It wasn't doing this yesterday. It's using up 25% cpu constantly. Rebooting doesn't do anything. There are no driver conflicts afaik. The only thing I have outdated is gpu drivers.

I used avast and didn't come up with anything. I don't know what to do with this thing. Unfortunately I don't have system restore point.

Solution
Your system is failing while trying to updates software. You really do not want to turn off this service.
Try these instructions from the thread linked below.

1.Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic :
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update.
2.Clear the windows update cache.
(Windows key +x then type A)
net.exe stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren Download Download.old
net.exe start wuauserv
Restart the machine

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/e22ba50c-151e-4e3f-a431-1008ed05727e/cpu-usage-100?forum=win10itprohardware
Hi BadNight :) and this maybe a good night for you.

DsmSvc Service is Device Setup Manager which enables the detection, download and installation of device-related software. If this service is disabled, devices may be configured with outdated software, and may not work correctly.

You can set this service to manual. The service can hog your system when updating windows updates.

Press windows key + R and in the run box type: Services.msc this will take you to your services.

You can always check at anytime what is being run on your system with Task Manager.

BadNight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
No good. When I got to it, it was already set to manual (trigger). Stopping doesn't do anything and just gives me an error 1053. I download dotnetfx 1.1 and it's update, and tried again, and it still fails to stop.

Your system is failing while trying to updates software. You really do not want to turn off this service.
Try these instructions from the thread linked below.

1.Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic :
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update.
2.Clear the windows update cache.
(Windows key +x then type A)
net.exe stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren Download Download.old
net.exe start wuauserv
Restart the machine

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/e22ba50c-151e-4e3f-a431-1008ed05727e/cpu-usage-100?forum=win10itprohardware

Solution