Question High CPU usage on task manager startup

CrippledPenguin

Reputable
May 6, 2016
I've recently noticed that when I open task manager the initial CPU usage is upwards of 80% and even 100% at times then it quickly shoots down to the normal level of around >10% when idle. This got me a little suspicious as I've never noticed it doing this before and found out this is typical behaviour for a bitcoinminer. I've looked around the internet for solutions and apart from reinstalling windows I've done everything (malwarebytes/rootkitscan, antivirus scan, cmd restorehealth commands etc) and nothing has seemed to work. I've tried to screenshot as much as possible in the task manager which I will include. Just before I post this I noticed that along with the high cpu usage when I open task manager I actually just saw that task manager's power usage also shoots up to very high or moderate then falls with the cpu usage which is making me wonder if it's a bitcoinminer at all. Anyway any solutions are welcome.

Pic of cpu usage high when I start task manager: Task Manager on startup

Edit: I have also ran HWMonitor and it is showing my cpu usage is at normal levels when task manager isn't open, not sure if it is a miner that can detect HWMonitor too or task manager is at fault here.

qMFjyG6.png

Last edited: