High cpu usage on win 7 HELP

pavle2222

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
im getting high CPU usage but it doesnt make any sense! Only one process at random like lets say a svchost that uses 99 of my cpu,i end it and then it lowers at 0 then gets up again on another process,for example the explorer,or on another svchost or on the system,or it locks on the idle usage,and if it does it goes back to 0 but after seconds it goes on another process and i end it all until it comes on explorer or system Athlon 64 1600 win7 32bit I have 1GB of ram but it runed ok until now. Im getting a new PC soon but i want to fix this.ALSO my new pc specs are(NOT MY COMPUTER NOW,BUT IM GETTING THE PARTS SOON)
AMD 6300 Black edition
600W PSU
MSI R6670 MDIGD5
8 GB 1333Mhz Kingston (2X4)
MSI 760GM-P21 (FX)
Can these parts run all the new games on medium 1600x900 res because i know the card can run crysis 3 on medium at like 50 fps on youtube,but can it run BF3 and GTA IV?

Solution

Look at any add ons in browsers like chrome. Look thru the programs on your hard drive. I find these anoying system power stealers often sneak in with freeware. Look in downloads at what you have recieved. Its often things you didnt notice that while not Awfully dangerous, use...

chriss000

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
1st, 1 gig aint enough! Your cpu will pop busy moving info around. You need 2, minimum.
2nd, check for hidden programs.
3rd, are you using a dongle? Old dongle drivers can hammer cpu use in win.7.
If you are, connect in the right hand corner of the screen, dont run the dongle software unless topping up credit.

pavle2222

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013

I am not using a dongle,1 GB seemed pretty enough before,and can you tell me what software could i use for checking those damn programs.

chriss000

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Look at any add ons in browsers like chrome. Look thru the programs on your hard drive. I find these anoying system power stealers often sneak in with freeware. Look in downloads at what you have recieved. Its often things you didnt notice that while not Awfully dangerous, use your pc for data harvesting etc.

Solution

fionas

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Hi
I spent the last 10 days trying to solve a similar problem: I was consistently getting inexplicable spikes of very high CPU usage, often sticking on 100% and slowing down performance to torturous levels. I tried every solution offered by various forums - including checking for malware, viruses, uninstalling and reinstalling everything from firefox to flash and other suggested programs, netsh resets, etc. etc etc. Somebody even suggested disabling audio ports. All worked to a degree but none offered a permanent solution. I am using a laptop - Dell XPS 32 bit and Windows 7, about 5 years old so I pretty much was about to give in and buy a new one.
Shutting down and rebooting sometimes reduced the CPU usage, but sometimes it was running to 100% immediately on some restarts.
And then the breakthrough: I realised that when I left it shut down for a few hours or overnight, it would be fine at first and then same CPU 100% (or very high) after a few hours. Could it possibly be the heat!!! Could the laptop be getting too hot?
I simply took it off the table (it was placed on a neoprene cover) and put it on a wire baking tray.
Miracles! That was over a week ago and I haven't had a problem since.
Don't care if it sounds mad. It worked!