High CPU usage out of nowhere

Martin_173

Prominent
May 4, 2017
My PC is still pretty new (almost a year old and bought all parts new) and I've had no problems with it until this past Sunday. I downloaded ghost recon woodlands from steam and it ran fine at first then my CPU usage started going to 90-99% and the game would get choppy. Now any game I play that happens. I'm not sure what to look for or what could have changed to cause this. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Specs:
Intel core i5 6500
GTX 970
G.skill DDR4 16gb
Asus sabertooth z170 s

Solution
I had similar problem a couple days a go with microstutter/high cpu usage in every game, Mad Max, Mass Effect Andromeda ++
I started ending tasks in the task manager. Took one at a time. TAB+ALT, end task and went back in game. I did this until I found one task I ended and the games was smooth after that.

I dont know why but after I stopped MICROSOFT (R) CONTACTS IMPORT TOOL from running, the stuttering was gone. I posted an vid on youtube showing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdYQJKW_WTQ

Lakken

Notable
May 4, 2017
Open TASK MANAGER, see what program that makes it go so high up.

When you say choppy, like microstutter every 2-3 sec? I recently bought an used GTX 970 and got microstutter on every game.. But I have fixed that.

have you removed XBOX DVR? Some people have reported this making games stutter.

Martin_173

Prominent
May 4, 2017
When I open task manager the game is what's using most of my CPU. I've been playing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds the most recently and never had it use 60-80% of my CPU. I thought with it being early access that it's just not prioritized correctly yet but any other game I try does the same thing.

Yeah it stutters when it gets the high CPU usage.

I believe the DVR is off.

Lakken

Notable
May 4, 2017
I had similar problem a couple days a go with microstutter/high cpu usage in every game, Mad Max, Mass Effect Andromeda ++
I started ending tasks in the task manager. Took one at a time. TAB+ALT, end task and went back in game. I did this until I found one task I ended and the games was smooth after that.

I dont know why but after I stopped MICROSOFT (R) CONTACTS IMPORT TOOL from running, the stuttering was gone. I posted an vid on youtube showing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdYQJKW_WTQ

Solution