High CPU usage while doing simple tasks and playing CSGO

Skedadle

Reputable
Apr 11, 2017
Hi

A couple weeks ago my pc's CPU usage increased a lot, for example when starting the web browser the CPU usage can spike all the way up to 80% and then go down again. And when browsing the internet and adding new tabs that makes the cpu spike a lot too.
Also when I'm playing CSGO the CPU usage is very high, I used to be at like 30% when playing CSGO but now it is at a minimum of 70% and jumps up to 80 or even 90% Which causes low fps (120-250fps very inconsistent) and a lot of stuttering even though the fps is at like 200. This is when using the lowest graphics settings which I used to have 350 consistent fps with.

What I have tried:
-Reinstalling windows.
-Updating all drivers including BIOS
-I gave up and sent it to Inet which is a pc components retailer in Sweden that also repair computers, they have benchmarked the pc with heaven for 16 hours without any errors and used burnintest for 12 hours. They told me that there is nothing wrong with it that they can see so i asked them to play csgo on it so they can see the stuttering, they said they tried csgo for 4 hours with no stuttering at all...... So now im shattered and I don't know what to believe anymore.. Can some peripheral that I have connected to the pc cause this? Such as my mouse, keyboard, screen or headset? Or is the cpu or some other component just simply faulty?

As you can see I have a pretty decent pc and I've only used it for 10 months which seriously sucks ;(
PC SPECS:
Windows 10
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
CPU i5-6600k 3.5 Ghz with NZXT Kraken x61 cpu cooler.
MBO: MSI Z170a gaming m3
PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 750W
RAM: Corsair vengeance 16GB 4x4 2133 Mhz DDR4
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB which is the only component that is older than 10 months at 3-4 years of use.

I ran Valley benchmark and this is what I got:
FPS 118
Score 4951
Min FPS 35,8
Max FPS 184,9

Render Direct3D11
Mode 1920x1080 fullscreen
Preset custom
Quality ultra

I'd love any help I could get from you guys!!!

EDIT: Also the temperature of the CPU rarely goes over 50.

MnMWizard

Respectable
Mar 9, 2016
Your CPU should be getting high usage in games, otherwise it would mean you aren't taking advantage of it's power. I've also noticed that opening tabs and programs, the usage spikes, but that isn't a bad thing. I might guess that this stuttering is a placebo, unless updating your GPU drivers for some reason gave you worse performance.

Skedadle

Reputable
Apr 11, 2017

I have updated all my drivers and the stuttering definetily isn't placebo because CSGO is actually unplayable with the amount of frame drops and stuttering.

MnMWizard

Respectable
Mar 9, 2016
You might try reinstalling CS:GO, which you might have already done though. Also you might try this tool DDU:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
It basically does a force uninstall of your GPU driver and nukes everything related to the GPU driver (in a good way, I use it almost every time I update drivers on my GPU just to avoid problems with stuff that may be left behind from previous ones). Just download/install Geforce Experience( or the stand alone driver) and see if it works better after. Hope that helps, because I don't know what else it would be.

Skedadle

Reputable
Apr 11, 2017

I used this tool a few hours ago but sadly the problem persists, I'm fairly certain one of my componets are faulty but I dont know which one. Which component do you think it might be if you had to choose one? I'm pretty sure it's not my ssd or my ram. Do you think a faulty PSU could cause this sort of problem?

I also tested a different game (H1Z1) and I didn't lag as much as in CSGO but the CPU usage was always in the high 90's which caused some stuttering.

Thanks a lot anyways for suggesting different possible solutions to my problem!!

Skedadle

Reputable
Apr 11, 2017

Yes I have, the GPU is fine, consistent temperature and load while gaming, no higher than 60C which is the point that the fans on the GPU start spinning. And the CPU's temperature is also fairly low, I don't think I've ever seen it pass 50C since I have a pretty good CPU cooler. So it's not the temperature that causes the CPU to downclock itself causing stuttering, which leads me to believe that somethings faulty.