Question High CPU usage while watching youtube

omuuli

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Hello!

I recently started having problems while watching Youtube videos in 1080p, my CPU usage goes to 100% with chrome taking up about 60-90%, when before it was only 20%, the videos also get choppy.

It all came out of the blue and i don't know what could be the issue, the CPU usage goes down when i have the video playing in a tab that isn't Youtube itself, or when i turn down the quality.

When i go into the processes tab in performance monitor it just shows chrome.exe

I have already tried turning off hardware acceleration, prediction services and run multiple scans, reinstalling chrome and nothing helps.

My CPU is an A8-7600.

Thank you in advance!

D

Deleted member 14196

While you’re watching YouTube open the windows resource manager and then you can look and see who is eating all of your resources and what is going on. There is an overview tab and also you can look at the CPU network and memory individually

Hello!

I recently started having problems while watching Youtube videos in 1080p, my CPU usage goes to 100% with chrome taking up about 60-90%, when before it was only 20%, the videos also get choppy.

It all came out of the blue and i don't know what could be the issue, the CPU usage goes down when i have the video playing in a tab that isn't Youtube itself, or when i turn down the quality.

When i go into the processes tab in performance monitor it just shows chrome.exe

I have already tried turning off hardware acceleration, prediction services and run multiple scans, reinstalling chrome and nothing helps.

My CPU is an A8-7600.

Thank you in advance!

Do you have a discrete GPU? or using the iGPU in the A8-7900.

Have you recently updated video drivers?

In Task Manager, Performance Tab. While watching a video, look at the GPU and whether or not it's being used for Video Decode.

It's not really an answer to your problem and I wouldn't know what to do about it (other than reverting to the earlier driver) but it could be a recent driver update changed where video decode is happening.

omuuli

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
Do you have a discrete GPU? or using the iGPU in the A8-7900.

Have you recently updated video drivers?

In Task Manager, Performance Tab. While watching a video, look at the GPU and whether or not it's being used for Video Decode.

It's not really an answer to your problem and I wouldn't know what to do about it (other than reverting to the earlier driver) but it could be a recent driver update changed where video decode is happening.
I have a GTX 1050, updated video drivers yesterday, the video decode was at 0% so the hardware acceleration in the chrome settings came to mind and i turned it on, and it solved the issue, so i'd like to thank you for making me check video decode!

omuuli

Prominent
Dec 12, 2017
I fixed the issue by turning on hardware acceleration in the chrome settings, i had it turned off before and i had no problems, weird that it would appear all of a sudden.

InvalidError

Titan
I fixed the issue by turning on hardware acceleration in the chrome settings, i had it turned off before and i had no problems, weird that it would appear all of a sudden.
Turning hardware acceleration for videos does require a fair amount of CPU-power. Maybe Google upgraded its video CODEC to h265 or equivalent which requires ~3X as much processing for decoding as previous-gen CODECs did.

I have hardware accel turned off because having Chrome and FF gobble up over 1GB of VRAM cause FFXV to glitch and crash due to low VRAM, which in turn also causes the browsers to misbehave from the game evicting the browsers from GPU memory. That was a couple of months ago though, may have been fixed in a driver update since then. I'll be looking at 6GB of VRAM as the bare minium for my next GPU, 2GB on a 1050 is clearly nowhere near enough for me anymore.