Question High CPU usage with new SSD

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Hi,
I have Dell Latitude e6430. Yesterday i upgraded it with kingston 240 GB SSD, after that the CPU usage is very high. When i swith back to old hdd everything is normal. So i thought that is wrong ssd, i have one more (same model). After installing system once more problem still occurs. Can it be CPU problem with new disk or some HW problem ?

Thank you.

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I found this before but I don't have the SSD instead of CD ROM i put it directly to SSD slot. But few minutes ago i found that the laptop has very old BIOS so i downloaded the new update to try out.

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Sure I'll let you know. Now I'm installing some autodesk products and cpu is going form 60 to 100 % nothing else running. It was clean install (i have sccm imge deployment and i know that this image is working fine on all other machines with same HW)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Weird

Try install Windows using media creation tool just incase for some silly reason the laptop isn't agreeing with the image.

Check too in the bios sata is set to ahci before applying the image or if you install windows. I don't see how ide/ahci would cause high cpu usage though but check anyway incase it's upsetting something in Windows.

Have you tried to narrow down the process taking so much cpu? Assort both cpu and memory columns highest to lowest so the largest users are brought to top.

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
OK, the IDLE usage seems to be fine now. After few restarts and long Windows update looks better and it feels to be faster. But this is very strange behavior. There is stlii higher CPU usage when doing some task (installing, updating etc.) but it's not that bat as it was. Last thing I could try is the driver updates or I have the same laptop with same hw configuration so I'll try swap the disks if there's some difference.

wasshup

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
Laptop running Windows 7 Pro X64. Image that I installed has integrated updates to november 2018 so it's not too much updates to download. All drivers is up to date and laptop is running much better now. But still it's strage. I'll reinstall same laptop from another user next week so i hope it won't be the same.