Antho115

Commendable
May 2, 2017
G'day All!

Hoping someone can help me clarify something.
When playing Battlefield V on high settings at 3440x1440 resolution (100hz) I use the setting future frame rendering and the games performance drastically increases in smoothness and FPS. However when I turn this setting off I get a very choppy experience where the game would suddenly drop to 50fps and stutter. If I use the future frame rendering option my CPU load goes up to 99% instantly and than starts fluctuating between 99-79% more often staying at 99%. But with low temps at around 72 degrees. I have checked background processes and nothing really stands out that would be making a difference. . .
My GPU is running at 99% which I know is a good thing at around 79-80 degrees.

Is extended periods of time gaming with that much of a CPU load bad?

Specs are as follows:

Core i7 - 7700k
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti
Trident Z RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz
Acer Predator x34 100hz
Thermaltake 360 rad

Thanks in advance! :D

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
no. it's totally fine to have your CPU under full load, as long as the temps aren't going too high you're completely fine.

And the reason it's going up so much is because of the future frame rendering, it's at least double the amount of work the GPU and CPU would normally have to do to render frames as things happen since as the name suggests, future frame rendering is rendering extra frames in advance to try and give more performance and/or stability.

however, with a 7700K and a 1080Ti, you should be getting more frames than what you said you are with it turned off.

I would suggest switching off DX12 back to DX11 if DX12 is currently enabled.

However, those temps on the GPU are kind of high, what 1080 Ti do you have?
And are you overclocking it?
Also, what is your fan curve like for it?
Also also, what PC case do you have? Might be that you don't have it set up properly for good enough airflow for intake and exhaust.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
BF V really does benefit from a 6-8 core CPU.
Yours is working hard to keep up with the workload.
I run the free program Intelligent Standby List Cleaner to smooth out CPU spikes and the consequent FPS drop in this game.
You can observe the CPU spikes in game by opening the console and typing perfoverlay.drawgraph 1
The optimisation is exceptionally poor on all formats including Xbox One X.

Like yourself I run at 4K but I am using an RTX 2070 card with a Ryzen 2700X.
Your card is more powerful than mine but I found the 3 settings that affected FPS the most are -
Lighting Quality
Effects Quality
Post Processing Quality

Dropping these 3 down 1 notch will increase your FPS and reduce your GPU usage with very little visual quality loss.

You must be using DX 11 already as I am sure Future Frame Rendering isn't an option for DX 12.
DX 11 is smoother I find.

I would say your card temperature is a little high but not dangerously so.
If it is OC then try dialing it back a bit if you want to lower the temperature.

Andy

Antho115

Commendable
May 2, 2017
no. it's totally fine to have your CPU under full load, as long as the temps aren't going too high you're completely fine.

And the reason it's going up so much is because of the future frame rendering, it's at least double the amount of work the GPU and CPU would normally have to do to render frames as things happen since as the name suggests, future frame rendering is rendering extra frames in advance to try and give more performance and/or stability.

however, with a 7700K and a 1080Ti, you should be getting more frames than what you said you are with it turned off.

I would suggest switching off DX12 back to DX11 if DX12 is currently enabled.

However, those temps on the GPU are kind of high, what 1080 Ti do you have?
And are you overclocking it?
Also, what is your fan curve like for it?
Also also, what PC case do you have? Might be that you don't have it set up properly for good enough airflow for intake and exhaust.

Hey Andy,

Thank you for your prompt response! The case I have is a Inwin 303 mid tower case. I have 3 corsair fans aligned at the bottom and the 360 rad up top. The GPU is the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 11GB (three fan) card with all the latest drivers updated. I am also using the Aorus engine utility and have got the card on the OC mode. I have not done any overclocking to the CPU or GPU because I've never really been confident in doing so :/
I am not sure what DX i had the game running on previously but I will double check! It was just worrying seeing the CPU load spike up to 99% I did also think that maybe the CPU could be bottlenecking my GPU as well but wasn't very sure!

Antho115

Commendable
May 2, 2017
BF V really does benefit from a 6-8 core CPU.
Yours is working hard to keep up with the workload.
I run the free program Intelligent Standby List Cleaner to smooth out CPU spikes and the consequent FPS drop in this game.
You can observe the CPU spikes in game by opening the console and typing perfoverlay.drawgraph 1
The optimisation is exceptionally poor on all formats including Xbox One X.

Like yourself I run at 4K but I am using an RTX 2070 card with a Ryzen 2700X.
Your card is more powerful than mine but I found the 3 settings that affected FPS the most are -
Lighting Quality
Effects Quality
Post Processing Quality

Dropping these 3 down 1 notch will increase your FPS and reduce your GPU usage with very little visual quality loss.

You must be using DX 11 already as I am sure Future Frame Rendering isn't an option for DX 12.
DX 11 is smoother I find.

I would say your card temperature is a little high but not dangerously so.
If it is OC then try dialing it back a bit if you want to lower the temperature.

Andy

Thanks mate I will give that a go! Strangely enough this is the only game I have any trouble with as far as CPU load goes. The horrible optimisation does not help either.