[SOLVED] High CPU usage

Aug 5, 2019
Hi, I recently upgraded from a rtx 1060 graphics card to one of the new 2080 Super. I am in the process of upgrading my system. I also recently bought a 2k res monitor to play on too. The problem I am experiencing is while playing games such as Fortnite, Black Ops 4, or even Overwatch my CPU is constantly at 95-100% usage, while my GPU is barely using 5% (according to the task manager). I have an i5-6600k but everything I have read says that it is more than enough to play on a 2k res monitor, max setting with the 2080 Super. My question is: Do I need to upgrade my CPU and motherboard to fix this problem or is something else causing this high CPU usage?

System:
I5-6600k
Rtx 2080 Super graphics card
16 GB of ddr4 3200 RAM
Running dual monitors

Solution
I use to play with a core i5 3570+8GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB. A few weeks ago I got an RTX 2070. After that my CPU was bottlenecking really bad at 1080p (which I was expecting anyways).
Last week, I got myself a brand new Ryzen 5 3600 + 16 GB of RAM DDR4 3200 CL16 and man, games run like heaven.
In SOTR for example while doing benchmark the GPU was bound at 96% to 98% with all settings Maxed (RTX crap disable not worth using it in this game). And while gaming is smooth as silk.

In BFV I can run almost without hiccups on ULTRA+TAA+RTX-ON (low setting). In about 1 hour of play I may see 1 small frame drop which I notice, the rest of the time is around 55~ 60 FPS AVG (Which is the max my monitor can handle). Without RTX, and while vsync...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can check resource monitor to see if there is any other processes that are hogging CPU resource in the background.

However upgrading to the RTX2080 Super will naturally lead to increased CPU usage. This isn't a problem, just means that's your next point to upgrade depending on the applications you play.

Reactions: Louie77
I use to play with a core i5 3570+8GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB. A few weeks ago I got an RTX 2070. After that my CPU was bottlenecking really bad at 1080p (which I was expecting anyways).
Last week, I got myself a brand new Ryzen 5 3600 + 16 GB of RAM DDR4 3200 CL16 and man, games run like heaven.
In SOTR for example while doing benchmark the GPU was bound at 96% to 98% with all settings Maxed (RTX crap disable not worth using it in this game). And while gaming is smooth as silk.

In BFV I can run almost without hiccups on ULTRA+TAA+RTX-ON (low setting). In about 1 hour of play I may see 1 small frame drop which I notice, the rest of the time is around 55~ 60 FPS AVG (Which is the max my monitor can handle). Without RTX, and while vsync is off, I see around 115 ~ 150 FPS depending on the map and situation.

So yeah, like others wrote already, even if its a few generations younger, your Core i5 is probably trying really hard to keep the pace, even if you're playing at 2K. RTX 2080 SUPER is overkill for any game today at 2K, which is good cause it means you have many years ahead to get the sweet juice it can deliver.

Cheers

Solution
Aug 5, 2019
This i5 could barely support an RTX 2080 with 4 cores and 4 threads, I would highly recommend upgrading to an i7 with more then 4 cores.
I am planning on upgrading to an i7--9700k soon in the future. This should be enough to stop having this issue while 2k gaming 120 fps right? Or do you have any other suggestions around the same price range that I should look into?

Aug 5, 2019

In BFV I can run almost without hiccups on ULTRA+TAA+RTX-ON (low setting). In about 1 hour of play I may see 1 small frame drop which I notice, the rest of the time is around 55~ 60 FPS AVG (Which is the max my monitor can handle). Without RTX, and while vsync is off, I see around 115 ~ 150 FPS depending on the map and situation.

So yeah, like others wrote already, even if its a few generations younger, your Core i5 is probably trying really hard to keep the pace, even if you're playing at 2K. RTX 2080 SUPER is overkill for any game today at 2K, which is good cause it means you have many years ahead to get the sweet juice it can deliver.

Cheers
I am planning on upgrading soon to an intel i7-9700k. I just wanted to make sure that my cpu is the problem and not something else with my system. Thanks for the input, very helpful!

Reactions: RodroX

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am planning on upgrading soon to an intel i7-9700k. I just wanted to make sure that my cpu is the problem and not something else with my system. Thanks for the input, very helpful!
Just in case you weren't aware, but the 9700k will require a new motherboard. Z370/390.
Some people just look Lga 1151 socket and automatically believe it'll work with their older 1151 motherboard, only to come on here wondering why it won't boot.
So if the 9700k + cost of new mobo is still within your budget, go for it.

Reactions: PC Tailor

You welcome.

i7 9700K is a good choice, way more expensive than AMD path since, as other said already, you will also need a new motherboard, and unless you have a really good aftermarket cooler, you're probably going to get one of those too.

If it wasn't for the few issues I encounter with the mobo I got (Gigabyte B450 Gaming X) and Ryzen 3xxx combo, I would suggest going on AMD way.
But I have to be clear about this, after some fine tuning and following the guidence from online comunity, my PC is running more than great, performance is awesome, is just that the first two days of experience with the high vcore voltage and frecuency on idle issue I was a little worry.

Maybe the Ryzen 3xxx and Chipset X570 combo runs well out of the box, and without this weird issues I encounter with an "old chispet" mobo.

Aug 2, 2019
Ryzen 3000 series chips are a cheaper option and in some cases better performance. But be aware they are a brand new architecture and will have problems with older boards as they work out the kinks, were as the 570 were built by the board partners to work with the new cpu.

Aug 5, 2019
Just in case you weren't aware, but the 9700k will require a new motherboard. Z370/390.
Some people just look Lga 1151 socket and automatically believe it'll work with their older 1151 motherboard, only to come on here wondering why it won't boot.
So if the 9700k + cost of new mobo is still within your budget, go for it.
Yes good point and I did already consider that. The plan was to get a whole new MB and cpu + cooler. Thanks for checking though it is a very easy oversight.

Aug 5, 2019
You welcome.

i7 9700K is a good choice, way more expensive than AMD path since, as other said already, you will also need a new motherboard, and unless you have a really good aftermarket cooler, you're probably going to get one of those too.

If it wasn't for the few issues I encounter with the mobo I got (Gigabyte B450 Gaming X) and Ryzen 3xxx combo, I would suggest going on AMD way.
But I have to be clear about this, after some fine tuning and following the guidence from online comunity, my PC is running more than great, performance is awesome, is just that the first two days of experience with the high vcore voltage and frecuency on idle issue I was a little worry.

Maybe the Ryzen 3xxx and Chipset X570 combo runs well out of the box, and without this weird issues I encounter with an "old chispet" mobo.
I was looking at the Ryzen 7 3700x too I just dont know anything about the Ryzen line. I have always gone with Intel. From what little research I have done it looks like the Ryzen cpu would be the way to go, more threads/cores and lower price? Is there something I am missing or are they better than the i7-9700k?

Aug 5, 2019
Ryzen 3000 series chips are a cheaper option and in some cases better performance. But be aware they are a brand new architecture and will have problems with older boards as they work out the kinks, were as the 570 were built by the board partners to work with the new cpu.
I am planning on getting a new MO already so if i was to make the upgrade to a new cpu would it be better to go Ryzen or Intel?

I am planning on getting a new MO already so if i was to make the upgrade to a new cpu would it be better to go Ryzen or Intel?
At this point of history, neither is better or worst, Intel is a bit strong in some games and a few productivity apps, and AMD is better in most productivity apps, and more than a decent performer on all games (in a few of them it may take the lead away from Intel).

On the other hand speaking of games only, on almost every game Intel still have the lead, but thats when you, as a consumer need to ask yourself, do I need those extra FPS?, will my monitor show me those?, will I notice the diference at all?.

And what about the 1% low FPS? according to many independent reviewers benchmarks, on most games AMD have the same score than Intel or higher, wierd ah ?

Intel's mobo support is going to change one more time, as soon as the next core i generation arrive (which will be next year); and what about AMD?, well they said socket AM4 will last till 2020, so theres no much longer support for newer CPUs other than next year (if they realease any new CPU at all).

In short, right now, the landscape is even, price is probably the only big diference. Blue team, or Red team, the final choice is yours.

Aug 2, 2019
I agree for the most part. Either platform at this point are going to give you great performance. even in gaming. While intel does still hold an edge in gaming its not enough that you will notice. AMD did say in recent interviews with PC World on there yt chanel that am4 socket will be supported until some new tech (like ddr5 memory) forces them to change.

Reactions: RodroX