Question high cpu usage

Sep 23, 2019
Hey, i got a problem, my cpu is really high when i open a program it says 20% but the task manager shows 50% when i open discord the same thing it shows 30% and the task manager says 50% or higher! when i play a game it says so too, Fortnite uses 50% and it says 70 or higher when i use a program/s that use/s 15-17% usage it says 78% on the task manager pls help.

CPU: i5 7200u
GPU: 940mx 2gb GDDR5

an image: High CPU usage

Sep 23, 2019
there is also a probleme, i don't have a screenshot right now but when discord is the only application thats running it uses 30% and the other uses just 3% of the cpu but it shows 56% how?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
there is also a probleme, i don't have a screenshot right now but when discord is the only application thats running it uses 30% and the other uses just 3% of the cpu but it shows 56% how?
Because the sum of ALL of your applications running is greater than Discords usage.

When you open discord, that's not the only application running.
You have MANY background applications running for other programs and the operating system at the same time, you just don't see them.

Sep 23, 2019
Because the sum of ALL of your applications running is greater than Discords usage.

When you open discord, that's not the only application running.
You have MANY background applications running for other programs and the operating system at the same time, you just don't see them.

how do i see them?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
how do i see them?
They're showing in the task manager image you showed. All of the 6%, 1%, 0.6% etc.
For even more detailed views you can view them in Resource Monitor.

They're not always applications you can or want to shut off mind.
However you can prevent third party applications from starting automatically through the startup tab of task manager.

Sep 23, 2019
They're showing in the task manager image you showed. All of the 6%, 1%, 0.6% etc.
For even more detailed views you can view them in Resource Monitor.

They're not always applications you can or want to shut off mind.
However you can prevent third party applications from starting automatically through the startup tab of task manager.

the thing is that it just happend, i was watching youtube and google chrome used just 12% of the cpu every time the suddenly it used 30% and all the other programs where using much more ithink 10-20% more of my cpu

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
its the total of EVERY process you have in your laptop, over the year you might have installed new apps sometimes newer version of windows can bump up the cpu usage to some degree.

itll be alarming if its at a constant 100% usage which indicates malware or a virus.

for a dual-core 4 thread cpu i wont be shocked to see it get to 30-70% even for basic use these days.