Question High CPU usage on light tasks ?

skolhir

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
Hello,

Recently my CPU, an intel i5 7600k started struggling as it's usage quickly goes up to 100% on quite light tasks, yet the temperatures stay below 60°c. Indeed, I used to be able to play games and multitasking easily on this processor, and now it struggles to play Valorant + Discord for example. When everything is in "background" and I stare at the task manager, it fluctuates from 12% with some peaks at 25%. Whenever I return to Valorant, it'll bounce between 70% and 100%. (and this game is not demanding)
There's barely any dust in the computer, the temperatures are correct, and there's no other software running in the background using the CPU (according to the task manager).

Is there anything I can try to fix it ? Or does it just happen because he's quite old and dying ?

Lutfij

Titan
What OS are you working with? Can you please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the BIOS version for your motherboard as well.

If you're on Windows, using TaskManager can you see what's taking up your resources when you've booted into OS GUI?

skolhir

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
The full specs :

CPU: I5 7600k
CPU cooler: be quiet (I don't have the precise reference)
Motherboard: MSI H270 GAMING M3
Ram: Gskill DRR4 2400Mhz (2x8Gb)
SSD/HDD: Kingstone SSD uv400 240Gb
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6Gb
PSU: EVGA 600W
Chassis: BitFenix Nova (micro ATX)
Monitor: Acer 1920x1080 - 144Hz

I'm unsure of what's "OS GUI", but when I open the task manager and go in "Performance" the CPU usage is fluctuating between 5% and 10%. It skyrockets whenever I open a software.

Hello,

Recently my CPU, an intel i5 7600k started struggling as its usage quickly goes up to 100% on quite light tasks, yet the temperatures stay below 60°c. Indeed, I used to be able to play games and multitasking easily on this processor, and now it struggles to play Valorant + Discord for example. When everything is in "background" and I stare at the task manager, it fluctuates from 12% with some peaks at 25%. Whenever I return to Valorant, it'll bounce between 70% and 100%. (and this game is not demanding)
There's barely any dust in the computer, the temperatures are correct, and there's no other software running in the background using the CPU (according to the task manager).

Is there anything I can try to fix it ? Or does it just happen because he's quite old and dying ?
Did you check for malware ?

skolhir

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
So... I did a full malware check and then reset my computer to factory settings (clearing the SSD containing Windows files, but kept my files stored in my HDD).

The problem hasn't been solved after this. Should I already buy a new processor ?