High Density 7200RPM drive VS Velocirator VS SSD Drive

kuanaco

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
High Density 7200RPM drive VS Velocirator VS SSD Drive

I keep hearing contradicting information on which one of these are really the faster ones for read and write and over all performance.

Whats is your take on this?

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
the velociraptor is the overall best performer per $. high density drives tend to have a larger though put, but slower latencys and seek times. SSDs have near no latency and have fastest through put, but cost a platinum coated highly polished penny

kuanaco

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Does anyone know how the read / write MB/s is compared to the SSD's?

I think velciraptor is like 95/MB s?

and SSD about 175b MB/s?

So doesnt this make the SSD by far better?

I think these numbers are off!!!

kuanaco

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Found this:
If the performance hasn't sold you maybe the doubled capacity of the VelociRaptor has. The new 300GB capacity will be a welcomed addition to those wanting more space and needing an upgrade. It would have been nice to see ever larger capacities, but Raptor users have becomed used to giving up space for extra performance. The other highlight of the drive is the move away from the standard 3.5" form factor to the new 2.5" HDA design that the VelociRaptor uses. Obviously this small form factor with smaller platters means that Western Digital has some serious density going on, which in turn helped performance. The small form factor also allowed for better cooling possibilites thanks to the WD IcePAK. Down the road when chassis designers come out with 2.5" hard drive mounts it should be get really interesting.

Right now the Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB drive is only available in several Alienware Computer systems. The WD VelociRaptor will be made available to the channel in mid-May if everything works out the way WD is planning. When it comes to cost the MSRP is set at $299. This might seem a bit high to some people, but keep in mind the 150GB Raptor WD1500 is selling for $143 plus shipping still two years after it was launched. Both drives are right about $1 per GB and the price versus performance winner is clearly the VelociRaptor!

But I see a 30GB SSD by Patriot being sold by FRY's that says that it gets

Sequential Read: 175 MB/s
And
Sequential Write: 100 MB/s

Whats up with all these numbers......they mention so many and name them differently. It makes it confusing.

So hands down who is the true winner here the SSD or the Velociraptor?

The Velociraptor is down to around $220 for 300GB on Newegg right now, and it's what I would go for. Of course, I use a lot of storage, so SSDs aren't as much of an option for me. If you don't need more than a relatively small amount of space, go SSD.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
If you are looking to sell: Your first born, 1 Arm, 1 Leg, and only have a very limited amount of space. Get an SSD.

However the 300GB Velociraptor is affordable, has much more space available, and you really won't notice 1/2 a second slower load times from SSD's.

High density 7200's are what I use for storage (Tear, and 750's are cheap as dirt now).

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
From personal experience, here is my take.

For SSDs that use MLC storage, RAID-0 would help greatly. Putting them in RAID-0 resolves some of the write issues they have, especially with multiple files writing to the drive at one time.

For SSDs that use SLC storage, RAID-0 is not needed at all. I have 3 Samsung 64GB in my desktop and I was curious to that same question about RAID-0. I ran a benchmark with one drive and compared it to the benchmark with two of them in RAID-0. Much to my surprise, the SLC drives in RAID-0 did not improve at all. The performance was right on par with a single drive, even after multiple tests.

Putting a SLC SSD next to a Velociraptor, the SSD wins...hands down.