[SOLVED] High DL/UL speeds, but terrible ping

Sep 27, 2020
I recently moved into an apartment complex that has relatively high download and upload speeds, however my ping is considerably high. For ex. my speeds are usually as follows: D- abt 80-100, U- 90-110, and my ping is usually around 200-300 which just doesn't make sense to me. There are also periods where I will get about 22 ping for about 30 mins and then it will go back up. The DL and UL speeds also fluctuate when this happens but not by much. Can someone help me reduce my ping to a playable form? Or maybe even get it to where it stays at 22 for longer periods? Any help is appreciated thank you :)

Solution
You may not be able to do anything if you have no control over the equipment. It almost seems that you are running on wifi or there is a wifi link in the path.

Run tracert 8.8.8.8 It may not show anything useful if it is random. You want to ping some of the hops manually to try to find it. Hop1 should be to the router in your house. Hop2 normally is the connection to the ISP but if your internet is provided by the complex then it maybe some equipment of theirs.

Delays could be because of overloaded connections. There is nothing you can do about this if the overload because of other people traffic, you again can only control the traffic inside your house.
You may not be able to do anything if you have no control over the equipment. It almost seems that you are running on wifi or there is a wifi link in the path.

Run tracert 8.8.8.8 It may not show anything useful if it is random. You want to ping some of the hops manually to try to find it. Hop1 should be to the router in your house. Hop2 normally is the connection to the ISP but if your internet is provided by the complex then it maybe some equipment of theirs.

Delays could be because of overloaded connections. There is nothing you can do about this if the overload because of other people traffic, you again can only control the traffic inside your house.

Solution
Sep 21, 2020
Which kind of connection do you use? Router? Number of attached devices?
Do you own your link or it is shared wifi across of complex?
Last question because it happened to me few times in Germany. Shared WIFI in complex. WIFI between devices about 500/+ Mbps ( AC ) but WAN speed... 5 Mbps... 😢 ( Fixed by bricking speedport :D ) In order to help you, we need more details.

It also can happen if there is lot of repeaters. I will appoint you to scan your network but first I need more details. For beginning post here results of tracert.

Sep 27, 2020
Which kind of connection do you use? Router? Number of attached devices?
Do you own your link or it is shared wifi across of complex?
Last question because it happened to me few times in Germany. Shared WIFI in complex. WIFI between devices about 500/+ Mbps ( AC ) but WAN speed... 5 Mbps... 😢 ( Fixed by bricking speedport :D ) In order to help you, we need more details.
WIFI and LAN are both available, but neither is dramatically faster or slower than the other. The router is not located inside of our apartment, but rather is held somewhere else in the building. The number of connected devices just varies depending on who is home. And I think all the residents in our building are on the same wifi. We have our own extension for our room specifically, but it's not locked. We also have no control over it in order to lock it. I'd be happy to answer any more questions :)

Sep 27, 2020

I'm not super savvy with stuff like this, but I'm pretty sure I have a grasp on what your'e telling me. Thanks !