Question High Download Speeds and Very Low Upload Speed

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Hello,

I have Verizon Fios internet with a G3100 extender in my office. Every computer gets speeds of at least 400+ down and 400+ up except 1 Dell Desktop. It is wired in and sometimes it will get 600+ down and 500+ up and most times it gets 600+down and only 0.05 up. What could the issue be? I tried a new computer, new cat 6 cable, a different port in the router and it just that area gets these very low uploads speeds occasionally. The computer next to it never gets low upload speeds. Verizon wasn't any help and they just kept rebooting the router. I feel these low uploads speeds are the reason web pages load very slowly and email doesn't get sent. Thanks

So how is the G3100 connected to the main verizon router. Are you using MoCA/coax cable to connect it. The speeds you get are so high it is not likely you are using wifi like most people that use things called "extender"

If it is only 1 pc you would think it was some kind of software issue.

So things that you can try that might give you a clue.

I would first try a old line mode program called IPERF. You would use this to test data between your 2 machines. You should get 900+mbps both up and down. It is a very simple command that test pretty much your hardware and your drivers. It does not use the browser which things like speedtest use.

The other thing you can try is to boot a USB linux image. This will run from the USB stick and I think all these images have a web browser pre installed so you can run speedtest like you do on windows. If this works it points to some garbage setting or software in windows causing it.

There are many software things that can cause this but a common one is any form of so called "gamer" network accelerators. These come bundled with the bloatware in some motherboards or video cards.

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
It is connected through coax cable. I don't think it is a software issue. I bought a brand new Dell PC and it is getting the same upload speeds. I am returning that PC today to get my money back.

I guess it could be a ethernet cable but you would generally see packet loss in both directions. Packet loss would reduce the transfer rates. You should see it by a ping to the router IP.

There is not much else to the ethernet connection. It is a piece of wire it either passes the data or it gets errors and is discarded. It can not delay or limit traffic....it has no concept of web browsers or ip addresses etc. It is a pretty much figures out bit by measure voltage difference between wires.

Maybe the problem happens on all your equipment and you just did not get "lucky?" and see the problem. Again I would still try IPERF or I guess you could just copy large files between your machines. This is to see if it is internet related or maybe but unlikely the moca. The connection between your 2 pc will only pass the switch chip in the 3100 device so it would elimiante or show if the problem was with the end devices or something else.