Question High-end Build Under-preforming

ilquaruxa

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello all,

I need some help diagnosing performance issues for my build. Here are the specs:

Geforce EVGA rtx 2080ti
Ryzen 3900x 12 core
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR 3600
MSI MEG X570 ACE Motherboard
Corsair RMX Series 650 Watt, Gold Certified
Samsung 970 Evo SSD 1TB
Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 BK022 250W

I've used two benchmark programs Novabench and Heaven Benchmark 4.0. Novabench estimated that both my CPU and GPU are performing in the 5-25 percentile range. My GPU at 18-25th Range and my CPU in the 5-20 range after 4 tests with multiple tweaks.

I ran Novabench multiple times. Everything I've tried has made the benchmarks worse or stayed the same.

Here's what I've tried:
  1. Updating drivers, firmware, Windows, of course - Reinstalling the GPU driver made the performance go down.
  2. Overclocking - this made the benchmark scores go down for CPU
  3. Temps seem okay at 65 degrees Celsius
  4. Checked the Performance Power Plan on windows - No difference after increasing to Ultimate Performance.
  5. RAm is the correct spot.

The only thing I can think of is that my power supply doesn't have enough wattage. Any other ideas?

Thanks everyone.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So maybe this is onto something. Windows reports that the DRAM frequency is 1066, but the bios reports 2133. Any suggestions?

What people are looking at is if you activated XMP so that your RAM could run at 3600 MHz, not that there's a "misreport." There isn't because DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so you'll see things reported at half like this.

The most likely issue, at this point, is that you have your RAM running very slowly on a CPU that care about fast RAM. And your benchmarks will look worse than most people, who will overwhelmingly be running their RAM much faster than yours.

ilquaruxa

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
What people are looking at is if you activated XMP so that your RAM could run at 3600 MHz, not that there's a "misreport." There isn't because DDR stands for Double Data Rate, so you'll see things reported at half like this.

The most likely issue, at this point, is that you have your RAM running very slowly on a CPU that care about fast RAM. And your benchmarks will look worse than most people, who will overwhelmingly be running their RAM much faster than yours.

Thanks for the explanations, DSzymborski. I have a couple follow-up questions.

1. I doubled checked that my XMP is enabled (it is) and my bios readout for my RAM is 3600 MHz. However, several applications are giving me a frequency readout of 1700 MHz including CPU-Z and Userbenchmark. Why is this occurring
    1. Edit - You already answered this question. DDR stands for double data rate. So, it's normal to have readouts of 1/2 the frequency. Do I have you correct?
  2. Could my under-performance be due to stock settings as opposed to overclocking as Garrett indicated? Here are my Userbenchmark results:
    Hd4V0wF.png
    Yx87zCp.png

3. Second Edit. I tried OCing with PBO and my results did not change.
I appreciate your help!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS