[SOLVED] High end build with micro-stutters/jitters

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Hi guys, so recently I just finished building my brand new PC, the gameplay feels smooth and great but for whatever reason I keep getting micro-stutters and it's not just a few of them every so often; it's is a pretty consistent amount that happens pretty frequent... for example I will cap my frames at 144 on Borderlands 3 at the highest settings (either Ultra or Badass settings) and it'll stay in the highs of FPS and it does feel smooth but it will for whatever reason eat absolute sh*t and drop from say 100 to 85 maybe sometimes 70 and I don't know why but I am convinced that the stutters aren't a result of my FPS going from 100 to 85 because I feel like that is fairly normal even for a system like mine... but for the life of my I genuinely cannot find a single reason as to why these micro-stutters/jitters/drops are happening and it is driving me insane because I spent a long time on this build and a lot of money and all the parts are pristine and brand new and I'd genuinely be the happiest person in the world if my PC would give the stable consistent performance it should and that I paid for...

My build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hpX3V7

Thing's I've tried/done:

• I've enabled XMP for my RAM in my bios
  • Switching my DVI cable to a brand new DP cable
  • Enabling VSync
  • Capping my FPS in most games
  • Lowering & higher-ing my graphics settings
  • I've updated my GPU to the latest driver update
  • Monitored my temps when gaming, highest settings on Borderlands 3 my CPU temps are 35-40 degrees sometimes just hits 50; my GPU sits around 65-68 degrees
  • ect ect, sure I've done more things but cant remember rn...

My system is a few days old, I was originally on Ryzen with a Ryzen 7 3700x and my 2070 but had the exact same jitter problem as I do now with my new Intel build and I just do not understand what could be causing this problem but I am so positive that there is a fix that does not require 3rd party softwares but I just cannot for the life of my find or figure out this fix...

If possible please help :(

Solution
My suspicion is that using a HDD is contributing to stutters.
Graphics textures need to originally be loaded from the drive and a hdd will be some 40x slower than a ssd.
Taking game checkpoints will also be slower.

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Some others with similar builds say that their PC's are just too powerful for these types of games and limiting their FPS from what I assume to be via 3rd party software; solved their problem... thing is, is I have no idea how to do the stuff they are talking about like slowing frame rates ect...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
FPS drops are really normal in any game it just depends on what is on the screen to render and also how well the game engine was made.

What resolution is the monitor.

Adding a SSD for the games should help some, for a high end system like that you would think you already had one. You only have a single HDD listed how full is it?

What are your CPU and GPU % of usage when gaming.

You can run https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and post the results to see obvious problems. The site if fairly poor but will detect some problems.

Last edited:

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
FPS drops are really normal in any game it just depends on what is on the screen to render and also how well the game engine was made.

What resolution are you using on the monitor.

Adding a SSD for the games should help some, for a high end system like that you would think you already had one.

What are your CPU and GPU % of usage when gaming.

You can run https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and post the results to see obvious problems. The site if fairly poor but will detect some problems.
Hi there, yes I know me having a HDD is a big problem and I am next month ordering a 1TB M.2 NVME drive but as of right now I cannot do that sadly...

My resolutions I use in games like co-op and single player are all 1920 x 1080 on 144hz as for FPS games I use 4:3 resolutions.

From what I can remember, yesterday my GPU usage was in the 85s?? maybe 90 to 100 and my CPU usage wasn't too high, maybe like 20 to 30 percent; not sure though I'd have to check tomorrow.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi there, yes I know me having a HDD is a big problem and I am next month ordering a 1TB M.2 NVME drive but as of right now I cannot do that sadly...

My resolutions I use in games like co-op and single player are all 1920 x 1080 on 144hz as for FPS games I use 4:3 resolutions.

From what I can remember, yesterday my GPU usage was in the 85s?? maybe 90 to 100 and my CPU usage wasn't too high, maybe like 20 to 30 percent; not sure though I'd have to check tomorrow.
Dump that 4.3 use your native 1080p of the monitor and cut the settings down some.

EDIT and again run the safe free benchmark here and post the results.

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Dump that 4.3 use your native 1080p of the monitor and cut the settings down some.
my games that I play 4:3 lag less or not at all; its my games that I play in 1080p on max settings that get jitters but for some reason when the graphics are higher, it runs a tiny bit better so I really don't know...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
my games that I play 4:3 lag less or not at all; its my games that I play in 1080p on max settings that get jitters but for some reason when the graphics are higher, it runs a tiny bit better so I really don't know...
Again run this and post the results. (free and safe)

What do you have for CPU temps when gaming?

Again go back to regular 1080p and turn your settings down some I don't know of any competitive FPS players that run everything on Ultra.

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Again run this and post the results. (free and safe)

What do you have for CPU temps when gaming?

Again go back to regular 1080p and turn your settings down some I don't know of any competitive FPS players that run everything on Ultra.
I don't run my competitive games on Ultra, only my single player/co-op games like BL3. In Valorant and CS I run everything on low to med with capped frames.

My CPU temps when gaming range from 35 to 40, sometimes hitting 50 but not often.

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Your CPU temps are way to low to be accurate, Takes like 5 minutes to run the test.

Also download and run OCCT to stress the CPU report back with the boost speed and temp.

Without information their no way to help!
Yeah I understand that it's harder to help without information but I can't do the tests right now because I'm over my gf's and last time I was on my PC was yesterday, if my temps are too low then maybe its the software I'm using that are reporting my temps incorrectly? either that or I somehow completely misread my temps which is quite possible.

Would temps should I be getting with a stock 9900k on games that are max settings?

EDIT: the software I used to see my temps were HWMonitor, Core Temps, CPU-Z and GPU-Z

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
Your CPU temps are way to low to be accurate, Takes like 5 minutes to run the test.

Also download and run OCCT to stress the CPU report back with the boost speed and temp.

Without information their no way to help!
Today I ran the OCCT stress test for my cpu, i ran it for a min straight, was at 100 percent usage my temps hit like 60 smth and I got no errors for my cpu, so assuming iys not a cpu or cooling problem... idk what jt cluld be, ive replafed every single part except my ram and PSU

R99 .

Commendable
Jan 3, 2020
My suspicion is that using a HDD is contributing to stutters.
Graphics textures need to originally be loaded from the drive and a hdd will be some 40x slower than a ssd.
Taking game checkpoints will also be slower.
Oh okay, I suspected that could be a reason but I wasn't sure if SSD's only helping with loading times or with both loading times and fastering rendering of frames ect and stopping the stutter, ill be sure to get my ssd soon, thank you :)