High end case fans?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Get a 120mm Panaflo. They have about 70cfm at 30dba. Not to bad! I have one and my friends were jealous! I don't have it installed though. I bought a Sunon and put it on a baybus because it has way more CFM, but a higher DBA.

You could get a Delta 80mm that pushes good CFM, but the DBA will kill you!

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
kinda of a newbie with building Pc's, built 1 so far, and planing on Building my dream machine in a few months. Im not overclocking, i will have Amd XP2000+, one 80Gb HD, volcano6u CPU cooler, CD-RW, GeForce4 ti4600,and the 350watt Enermax PS and maybe 1 or 2 pci' cards, how many case fans is needed for this setup, the case i am getting can mount one in front and one in back 80mm and a 40mm. Should i buy both the 80mm and 40mm. i am buying the USB case from
<A HREF="http://www.dumpcomputers.com/usbsilver.html" target="_new">USB Case</A>

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would just do 80mm fans. Do some modding and put some 80mm fans on the side of the case on the left side panel.

With this system you would defiantly want really good cooling!

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
if you are not overclocking, you will get away with using the hsf that comes with the retail athlon XP, or a similar coolermaster (cheap, quiet and does the job)
Looking at that case, you may do well to choose one that can handle an 80mm back outlet fan. You dont really need to blow much air in as air will find a way in. Intake fans are mainly for air movement. The Zeus case with window on that site looks nice.
40mm fans dont shift hardly any air. if you are blowing in with a 80mm, most of the air will go out through the psu (the enermax has one in fan and one out fan).
anything that the psu cant shift will just be stagnant in the case. Stagnant hot air - sounds like my boss.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
hard to say really. Looking at it on paper is never the same as doing it.
How much are half decent fans anyway? not much so get a few. I've got loads lying around my house.

Keep the cables in your case nice + tidy, maybe even get rounded cables. or <A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_cable_rounding/" target="_new">make your own</A>.

a good rule to follow IMHO is 2 output fans for every intake fan. Include the psu fan, then theres one on the front and one on the back. If it gets too noisy, try it without the front one.

It may be a good idea to get a little one to push the air near your video card around. I've got a tiny 40mm fan at a 45 degree angle which pushes the air around my vid card into the main bit of the case.

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i would at least get 2 case fans one in the front and one in the back

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
As long as they are low-speed (RPM) case fans, they won't noticably increase the overall case noise level. I have 2 low-speed Sunon fans that are practically silent.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Hmm I figured it all out. You either sacrifice noise level for performance or vice versa. Not too sure how loud 43dbA is but the Delta EFB0912VHF 92 x 32mm case fan has a performance level of 77.68 CFM.
Any of you guys know how loud 43dbA is?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Loud!

Louder than a standard air conditioning window unit, but not as loud as most vacuum cleaners.

Loud enough to keep you awake unless you are really, really tired, or have a hearing problem!

I wouldn't assemble a system with a Delta and expect to watch a DVD without becoming a little irritated. And I would never put it in a bedroom.

Sunon, the new Enermax adjustable fans and the dead quiet Panaflo fans are my preference. 32 decibels = a whisper. 43 decibels - problems ignoring the computer while watching television. That's my reference.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
43db is kinda loud i would try to keep it around 30db i have 3 80mm thermaltake case fans and its a little loud (about 32dba or at least thats what it says on the box)
in general delta fans are loud, so i would try to stay away from them unless you can't do without the sound of a small airplane in your room.....

you might be better off going with a bigger fan that is running at a slower speed, most of them will move more air at a lower dbA

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>
"What's another word for thesaurus?"
Steven Wright

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Hmm okay then I see. Well would you know anywhere that I can get a 60mmx25mm or a 92mmx38mm or standard 80mm case fan with at least 75 CFM??

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/delhigper.html" target="_new">http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/delhigper.html</A>

if you don't car about ever hearing agian then the deltas will do it for you

i don't anything else will do it

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
I do care about the noise big time. The reason I want a case fan with such a high CFM is because it's for my heatsink. The MCX-478. I'm going to get a universal fan mount and mount on a case fan to it since the one that the MCX478 comes with (Delta FFB0812SHE-F00 http://www.deltaww.com/products/dcfans/pdf/FFB808038.pdf) has a noise level of 48.5 dbA. I'm willing to pay the price for a 60mmx25mm or a 92mmx38mm or standard 80mm case fan with at least 75 CFM. Don't care how much it costs just as long as it's QUIET. thx for the link though!

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
as far as i know the only way to get that much is to go to a 120mm fan

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
hmm okay then thx. Well what happens if for example I put a 60CFM fan on my heatsink and it's recommended at 75CFM... Would anything happen to my cpu?

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
it would be a hotter then it is right now that is about all

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I have a Thermaltake 60x60x25mm, 31 CFM @ 4550 RPM, 28 dBA, 1.8w .17 Amp, 12v DC, 3-pin connector on my thermalright SK-6 and it does just fine (the SK-6 was boxed with a delta 60x60x25, but was too loud for me) There was a difference of maybe 1c to 2c rise when i put the thermaltake fan on. I don’t think you need 75CFM out of a heatsick fan unless you are going to over-clock the hell out of it or you have a crapy heatsick.

i would just pick a fan that you think will do what you want and get a little program called motherboard monitor and check your temps, if you dont like them then try a different fan.

Steven Wright<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cyprus on 03/20/02 00:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Got a quick question that came to my mind. If the Swiftech comes with a Delta 80x80x38mm is it possible to just buy another 80x80x38mm fan and replace the delta one?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Here are some heatsink fan soundbytes. I suggested picking one of the 19 dBA fans first. Set your volume so that you can just barely hear then slowly turn it down even more until you can't hear it. Leave the volume at that level it then try the other fan soundbytes.

Obviously you are not going to hear the exact loudness levels but it will give you a relative idea of how loud one fan vs another. However, a big 92mm case fan will have a lower pitch than a CPU fan so it won't be as objectionable as some of the fans you will hear.

Not sure how valid this all is but at least it something for you.

<A HREF="http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/results/coolertest.html" target="_new">http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/results/coolertest.html</A>

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you are looking for a quiet HSF I have a new one on order. It's an <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/331.htm?766" target="_new">Evercool CUD-715</A>. 70x70x15 mm fan that pushes 38 CFM at only 32 dBA. It has a big brother with a 70x70x25 fan at 42 CFM and same noise level.

I should have the CUD-715 in two days. If you're interested I'll let you know how it performs and how it sounds.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
yes you can change the fans, 28dbA is not loud but its hard to say because i also have 3 80mm case fans running at the same time along with 2 fans in my powersupply. The delta fan that came boxed with my heatsick was really loud, and had a high pitched sound.

Steven Wright

TRENDING THREADS