Question High-end computer but horrible stuttering ?

Sep 2, 2022
www.volmit.com
Ok so allow me to preface this with a little background.
Computer Specs:
CPU: AMD 5900x
GPU: 3080 TUF
Mobo: Rog Strix X570e Gaming, Bios: Version 4403, from (https://www.asus.com/supportonly/ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/)
Power supply: RM1000x
Mem: 64gb, 3600mhz

Issue:
While on my desktop doing software or something i either don't notice it or its not happening.
But i can look at my task manager and roughly every 15 seconds like clockwork, i see a small spike in like 4 of my cores and its just the "System" process doing it (at least that's what i can tell from task manager anyway.
And when I'm playing a game like Destiny, or using something that's something intensive, cpu, ram, or gpu, eventually ill notice the stuttering.

It also affects my GPU too: View: https://i.imgur.com/qnUFeQO.png
(Specifically the "copy")
Here is a CPU Example: View: https://i.imgur.com/ZGVtfX6.png

Process: View: https://i.imgur.com/TI3wHOs.png

Video: https://gfycat.com/DarlingSmallElephantbeetle

I've looked at a few of the thread posts on here and the generic reply is that i need to update my bios. i did that and then like a week later(if that) it came back. Its not a constant thing, and it does not happen on a timer(the actual like 0.15 second Micro stutter) i don't think its software related (I'm very conservative with what i install onto my computer because I'm anal with what gets access to my hardware. Steam, 4 games, IntelliJ, and some other SDK's for stuff i do. and it seems to always happen in games or programs where I'm doing. But its not consistent. in a 4 hour game, i can have it happen anywhere from 0 - 10 times making of breaking my game experience

What I've tried:
  • Upgraded Bios
  • Removed other software
  • removed all unneeded windows Startup Services
  • With winaero tweaker, Crippled all of windows background things
  • Disabled all windows telemetry (winaero as well)
  • updated nvidia drivers
  • latest windows 11 as of whenever this message is (i just don't feel like typing the 8 character update)
  • and more thats not coming to mind as i'm writing this
  • I bought a TPM module for my mobo and it should be here today, though i doubt its going to fix thhhhhessue
I Literally never come to forums because i can usually fix these kinds of issues by slamming my face against the problem for at least 4 hours, and a coffee later. But this. This is something that i don't know what to do and it has been enough time, and enough pain, and enough googling "amd tpm stutter after update" and literally getting articles that are just catfishing for clicks to just repeat the same thing 6 other sites have as they are all mostly copy paste anyway- And come here. This has been happening for at least a year but the frequency changes from hours, to seconds, crippling my capability to type a message: withooooooo it llllloking like thissssssss. I easilly needed to correct the spelling on my message here 10+ times while writing because mid hitch id press a key, and it just gets spammed.

Hopefully some of you / someone can grace me with some insight on my issue, i really appreciate it. Thanks if you read this far, and sorry for the word vomit
Similar Threads I've noticed here:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-high-end-pc-infrequent-but-annoying-stutter.3776343/
and a few others but this is probably as accurate as i can get

Tried from this forum:
  • Power setting
  • Registry tweaks (wise Cleaner)
  • DDU
  • Reinstalling JUST windows (keep my files)
  • Toggling DOCP
  • Underclocking Memory 3600 -> 3200
  • Setting the clocks in the bios from Tu1 -> tu2 to Auto

Last edited:

DavidM012

Distinguished

search the forum for stutter using the search bar at the top of the page.

There's a variety of results and it may not be the exact same cause as yours but I selected one out of the results I got using the term pc stutter.

Sometimes you need clues to narrow down the search terms and sometimes you can get clues for narrowing the search from the results of searching general terms.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/search/1929201/?q=pc+stutter&o=relevance

Keep a note and make of list of what didn't work so you can eliminate duplicate suggestions, which is also another way to eventually narrow your search.

You could also ask your mobo manufacturer for a clue since their service centers are usually reachable and responsive, not saying it's the motherboard just that their service is good sometimes and it loosely fits the notion of customer support too.

Sep 2, 2022
www.volmit.com
i would not have come here if i have not tried DDU, reinstalls, registry fixes, and some registry tweaks. im at a loss, thats all. but ill sift through it again, and give it another once over. if anyone else has any try-this's or ideas im all ears <3

DavidM012

Distinguished
that one was set windows power plan to balanced

you need to keep a list of what didn't work so it can be eliminated

you could ask your hardware manufacturers if they are familiar with the issue.

Could ask Microsoft support.

Sep 2, 2022
www.volmit.com
that one was set windows power plan to balanced

you need to keep a list of what didn't work so it can be eliminated

you could ask your hardware manufacturers if they are familiar with the issue.

Could ask Microsoft support.
Edited the message, but these things i have tried:

• Power setting
  • Registry tweaks (wise Cleaner)
  • DDU
  • Reinstalling JUST windows (keep my files)
  • Toggling DOCP
  • Underclocking Memory 3600 -> 3200
  • Setting the clocks in the bios from Tu1 -> tu2 to Auto

DavidM012

Distinguished

Have you tried backing up all your data to a storage device so you don't lose one single byte

get that all safely stored somewhere out of the way

Go back to windows 10

You could just install windows 10 .

Then you could have a clue it's something to do with windows 11.

Since there must've been a rash of driver updates for windows 11 it could just be something in the jungle of that which hasn't been detected or smoothed out yet. You are looking for a needle in a haystack probably.

Use a magnet... ok so it's more like looking for a habitable exoplanet.

DavidM012

Distinguished
You are sure you downloaded and installed the most recent drivers from the manufacturer website immediately after having properly cleanly installed windows and ran ddu?

Not just for the Graphics Card but for all the devices.

The sequence things are installed in could matter.

1)Do the clean install
2)Run ddu just to uninstall the default graphics driver.
3)Install steam.
4)Install driver booster. Download and install all the drivers it detects.

So there is literally nothing on your computer but windows and the latest drivers.

Sep 2, 2022
www.volmit.com
You are sure you downloaded and installed the most recent drivers from the manufacturer website immediately after having properly cleanly installed windows and ran ddu?

Not just for the Graphics Card but for all the devices.

The sequence things are installed in could matter.

1)Do the clean install
2)Run ddu just to uninstall the default graphics driver.
3)Install steam.
4)Install driver booster. Download and install all the drivers it detects.

So there is literally nothing on your computer but windows and the latest drivers.
a few things:
I am on windows 11, I look forward to a debated windows 11 install. I would not HATE going back to windows 10, but for software it's just not something I can do. so that's out. And yes I have run the Driver Booster thing post cleanup

DavidM012

Distinguished
you don't have to commit to going back to windows 10. I mean just get one single drive connected to your PC to install windows 10 on cleanly for diagnostic purposes.

Put all your other drives somewhere else with your software and data. Until you have a clue of what the system is like cleanly with only the drivers on it and windows 10.

Don't have another drive to install windows cleanly on? Sorry cannot help you.

Sep 2, 2022
www.volmit.com
So it's impossible because you don't want to try. I get that you are uninterested in the problem.
What? perhaps you misread the context of what I was trying to say. I have no problem downgrading to windows 10, I just do software that's version to specific to like windows 11. im not uninterested in the slightest, rather im really interested in getting this solved, but downgrading to windows 10 is not an option long term, and I longer have my backup drive as of late. That's all. I will try your reset bios thing and see what I can do with that, and I'll let you know. otherwise im going to keep running tests awaiting any more info here :)

DavidM012

Distinguished
Just do a clean install of windows with One single drive and nothing else attached to your pc that's all, you can load it up on a drive with all other drives disconnected.

Why? The method in the madness is so there isn't any other software that might be causing the stutter and so then you have a clue it might be some software on your windows 11 rig which could lead you in the direction of asking microsoft support.

DavidM012

Distinguished
you don't have to commit to going back to windows 10. I mean just get one single drive connected to your PC to install windows 10 on cleanly for diagnostic purposes.

Put all your other drives somewhere else with your software and data. Until you have a clue of what the system is like cleanly with only the drivers on it and windows 10.

Don't have another drive to install windows cleanly on? Sorry cannot help you.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Could be anything. The bug seems to affecting the newer generations of performance hardware.

If you think it's a software issue prove it by isolating the software with the suggested clean install of windows 10, Trouble is we just don't know enough. A clean install of windows 10 is not really a definitive test but it will be a completely different set of drivers and software which will provide some contrast. It could be done in less than an hour as a diagnostic test.

We should be progressing through this by now.

After that it's down to asking hardware manufacturers if they are familiar with the issue. That's why we need the list of things tried so they don't just duplicate suggestions and ignore the issue. It will also narrow down the search for the cause of it. So then maybe one of their engineers will know what it is.

Sep 2, 2022
www.volmit.com
Could be anything. The bug seems to affecting the newer generations of performance hardware.

If you think it's a software issue prove it by isolating the software with the suggested clean install of windows 10, Trouble is we just don't know enough. A clean install of windows 10 is not really a definitive test but it will be a completely different set of drivers and software which will provide some contrast. It could be done in less than an hour as a diagnostic test.

We should be progressing through this by now.

After that it's down to asking hardware manufacturers if they are familiar with the issue. That's why we need the list of things tried so they don't just duplicate suggestions and ignore the issue. It will also narrow down the search for the cause of it. So then maybe one of their engineers will know what it is.
after a clean install of windows 11, the issue persists. freshly downloaded and installed, with factory bios and all.
Even when installing a Dedicated TPM chip into the mobo the issue persists so im confident its not TPM either

DavidM012

Distinguished
but not windows 10 yet

Ok so it's just a test and it might not show any difference either but that will show if it's a difference in drivers between windows 10 & 11 if it does?

Then if it doesn't show a difference it could be hardware. GPU fans spinning? Monitor the temps using hardware monitor

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

and hwinfo (which is much more comprehensive system info utility)

so get to the tried everything you know point and try contacting amd, asus and microsoft support.

Try looking at the event logs

try looking at device manager to see that there are no yellow exclamation marks

have you tried driver booster from steam to scan and and install all the latest drivers which include all the system device drivers not simply the gpu

we are getting to the point of exhausting average consumer knowledge. It shouldn't take this long!

Nov 22, 2022
Ok so allow me to preface this with a little background.
Computer Specs:
CPU: AMD 5900x
GPU: 3080 TUF
Mobo: Rog Strix X570e Gaming, Bios: Version 4403, from (https://www.asus.com/supportonly/ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/)
Power supply: RM1000x
Mem: 64gb, 3600mhz

Issue:
While on my desktop doing software or something i either don't notice it or its not happening.
But i can look at my task manager and roughly every 15 seconds like clockwork, i see a small spike in like 4 of my cores and its just the "System" process doing it (at least that's what i can tell from task manager anyway.
And when I'm playing a game like Destiny, or using something that's something intensive, cpu, ram, or gpu, eventually ill notice the stuttering.

It also affects my GPU too: View: https://i.imgur.com/qnUFeQO.png
(Specifically the "copy")
Here is a CPU Example: View: https://i.imgur.com/ZGVtfX6.png

Process: View: https://i.imgur.com/TI3wHOs.png

Video: https://gfycat.com/DarlingSmallElephantbeetle

I've looked at a few of the thread posts on here and the generic reply is that i need to update my bios. i did that and then like a week later(if that) it came back. Its not a constant thing, and it does not happen on a timer(the actual like 0.15 second Micro stutter) i don't think its software related (I'm very conservative with what i install onto my computer because I'm anal with what gets access to my hardware. Steam, 4 games, IntelliJ, and some other SDK's for stuff i do. and it seems to always happen in games or programs where I'm doing. But its not consistent. in a 4 hour game, i can have it happen anywhere from 0 - 10 times making of breaking my game experience

What I've tried:
  • Upgraded Bios
  • Removed other software
  • removed all unneeded windows Startup Services
  • With winaero tweaker, Crippled all of windows background things
  • Disabled all windows telemetry (winaero as well)
  • updated nvidia drivers
  • latest windows 11 as of whenever this message is (i just don't feel like typing the 8 character update)
  • and more thats not coming to mind as i'm writing this
  • I bought a TPM module for my mobo and it should be here today, though i doubt its going to fix thhhhhessue
I Literally never come to forums because i can usually fix these kinds of issues by slamming my face against the problem for at least 4 hours, and a coffee later. But this. This is something that i don't know what to do and it has been enough time, and enough pain, and enough googling "amd tpm stutter after update" and literally getting articles that are just catfishing for clicks to just repeat the same thing 6 other sites have as they are all mostly copy paste anyway- And come here. This has been happening for at least a year but the frequency changes from hours, to seconds, crippling my capability to type a message: withooooooo it llllloking like thissssssss. I easilly needed to correct the spelling on my message here 10+ times while writing because mid hitch id press a key, and it just gets spammed.

Hopefully some of you / someone can grace me with some insight on my issue, i really appreciate it. Thanks if you read this far, and sorry for the word vomit