High-End computer is loading slowly and games perform strangely.

Whoowee

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
I've been having issues with my computer, it's been loading slower and also pages will temporarily stop processing for a few seconds before running normally again, and whenever I play videogames the problems vary like Skyrim will always stutter during combat, new vegas will sometimes stop playing sound then play any sound that should have been made in that period all at once, and overwatch will take longer to load characters than maps. I've tried replacing my RAM because one of my old sticks was scratched but that only helped for a week before the problems came back.

My Specs:

GPU: GTX 970

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

RAM: 16 GB

System Type: 64bit

Hard Drive Space: 1.35 TB (314 GB free space)

Computer Model: Dell XPS 8300

Whoowee

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017

Yeah, and it's also a relief to finally figure out what was wrong, I've been real frustrated all these months but now I'm relieved now that I know what's wrong.

Jan 22, 2019
I bought this desktop a few years ago and hated it from day 1. It was so slow I swear I could make coffee waiting on this thing. I tried everything from hardware checks, speed up/cleaning programs, discussion groups etc. I had an old Dell Vista laptop with IDE Hdd with only 2 Gb ram which was 5 times faster than this desktop. It would take 4 1/2 minutes to boot up completely, 30 seconds to open Word or Excel and was just plain painful to use. This machine should have been smoking fast looking at the spec sheet. Under the Windows performance rating it only came in at a 5.9 !! Really 5.9 ?? Remember I tested ( over and over again) all hardware especially the Hdd. I did notice that the systems seemed to always be talking to the Hdd as the indicator lite would slowly flash after the long boot time. I decided to install a SATA SSD (500 Gb) and move the original 1.5 Tb drive to D;\ and make it mass storage. Wow !! what a change !! It appears the Hdd was the problem all along. The new boot time is now 20 seconds !! From BIOS window to full Windows 7 up and running is 20 seconds !! Opening Word or Excel is now about 3 seconds ! I reran the Windows Performance test and it went from 5.9 to 7.4 !! Good God 7.9 is maximum for this rating !! This machine is now a pleasure to use as it is running the way I expected it too 5 years ago. I hope this helps anyone else out there that is frustrated with the 8300. Good luck !!