High end computer runs very loud suddenly

Sep 11, 2018
So, about a month ago or so, my computer has started to run very loud when playing any games or running intensive programs (and sometimes Chrome for short periods of time). A few days ago, I opened up my computer and removed most of the dust. Typically, I would remove my GPUs and other parts and clean more acutely. This time around I was a bit more lazy, but I still think I did a good job. After cleaning it, my computer seems to run a little bit quieter, but after running any intensive programs/games the fans get very loud (more so than I would say was typical in the past).

CPU: 6700k
Cooler: H100iGTX
GPU: 980ti SLI
RAM: 16gb DDR4
Motherboard: MSI Z170a

In the past, I accidentally removed my CPU cooler and had to reapply the thermal paste. Since then, I haven't had any problems. The only other notable thing I'd like to mention is that when I first built my computer, I installed the CPU cooler turned 90 degrees too much in one direction. That greatly affected CPU temps, but upon fixing it, I haven't had any problems as well.

I went ahead and ran an AIDA64 stress test for ~10 minutes and captured some of the data from it. I also downloaded the iCue Corsair software that's used to monitor Corsair hardware such as my cooler. One point of interest to me is that no matter what I did, the iCue software displayed my CPU fans as 0 rpm. I think this is an issue with the software though, because on both HWMonitor and AIDA64, the CPU fan's rpm was read similarly with a max of around ~2700rpm.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZIgibW8

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this issue of mine?

Solution
You may be misunderstanding fan speed information. The way the Corsair H100i system works IF you connected it as instructed is this. The PUMP unit reports its speed to the CPU_FAN header. But the actual fans on the radiator do NOT report their speeds anywhere on the mobo. The Corsair iCue software knows all about this and displays the speed from the CPU_FAN header as the PUMP speed (it is supposed to run at full speed all the time). The radiator fan speeds are read separately because they are reported to iCue through the pumps' communication route via its USB2 connection cable. On the other hand, third-party software tools know nothing about these details and will tell you that the speed from the CPU_FAN header is the FAN speed...
Sep 11, 2018

I have 1TB HDD and 500GB SSD. I don't really use the HDD much except for some extra files and backups.

Sep 11, 2018

I just ran the Unigine Heaven Benchmark and my computer was comparably quiet. As such, I'm pretty sure my issue lies with my CPU and cooler.

Sep 11, 2018

I did. I can't seem to find my thermal paste so I just went ahead and ordered some off amazon. I'll clean my cooler a bit more closely next time as I'm sure I didn't get all the dust. Thanks for all the help so far.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You may be misunderstanding fan speed information. The way the Corsair H100i system works IF you connected it as instructed is this. The PUMP unit reports its speed to the CPU_FAN header. But the actual fans on the radiator do NOT report their speeds anywhere on the mobo. The Corsair iCue software knows all about this and displays the speed from the CPU_FAN header as the PUMP speed (it is supposed to run at full speed all the time). The radiator fan speeds are read separately because they are reported to iCue through the pumps' communication route via its USB2 connection cable. On the other hand, third-party software tools know nothing about these details and will tell you that the speed from the CPU_FAN header is the FAN speed (wrong!), while having no way at all to read the actual rad fans' speeds.

So, if the iCue software tells you the rad fans' speeds are zero, you really need to check whether those fans are running at all! The readouts from HWMonitor and AIDA64 are NOT those fans' speeds, they are the PUMP speed only.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You may be misunderstanding fan speed information. The way the Corsair H100i system works IF you connected it as instructed is this. The PUMP unit reports its speed to the CPU_FAN header. But the actual fans on the radiator do NOT report their speeds anywhere on the mobo. The Corsair iCue software knows all about this and displays the speed from the CPU_FAN header as the PUMP speed (it is supposed to run at full speed all the time). The radiator fan speeds are read separately because they are reported to iCue through the pumps' communication route via its USB2 connection cable. On the other hand, third-party software tools know nothing about these details and will tell you that the speed from the CPU_FAN header is the FAN speed (wrong!), while having no way at all to read the actual rad fans' speeds.

So, if the iCue software tells you the rad fans' speeds are zero, you really need to check whether those fans are running at all! The readouts from HWMonitor and AIDA64 are NOT those fans' speeds, they are the PUMP speed only.

Now, all this began when you disconnected and moved a few items to do some cleaning. My guess is that you re-connected things in the wrong places. The cable from the PUMP should be going to the mobo CPU_FAN header. The two fans on the rad should be going to output connectors on a wire from the PUMP unit, because that is how they are powered and controlled. Ensure the pump's power supply cable is plugged into a PSU SATA power output connector. And finally, ensure that the cable from a socket on the pump to a mobo USB2 header is connected properly. Without that last connection the iCUE software cannot get the right info from the pump and cannot send it fan control info. With no such info, the pump unit's default is to run those rad fans at full speed to be sure the CPU gets (probably too much) cooling.

Solution
Sep 11, 2018

That's some pretty useful information, so thank you. When my thermal paste arrives (tomorrow or the day after) and I clean more intently/replacing thermal paste, I'll check to make sure everything you mentioned are connected correctly. Also, now that I think about it, the PUMP speed was the same and or very similar to the fan speed readings from 3rd party software. Thanks again; I'll definitely get back to you.