High end computer slowed down overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

indian4

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
My computer has slowed down similar to another post I was reading and following along with but in safe mode I checked for errors on my c drive and it found errors but then said windows found an error that needs to be repaired but no check mark is available beforehand to repair it. The only other option is to optimize the drive. I also found a huge amount of errors on my event viewer under system.
I have been following this post
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2602949/extremely-high-end-began-running-slow-overnight.html

My spec that I remember are
Windows 10
Msi graphicscard
2 corsair ram sticks can't remember size
Asus motherboard

Solution
If you can get in and run the system, do a backup now. It's possible some data is corrupted or may not be able to copy due to drive errors but most of the files should work.

Drivers are installed after Windows is installed but yes, motherboard devices and gpu are the needed drivers. You can get the most recent version of 10 to install from this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the media creation tool and you can use it to prepare either a flash drive (8GB is fine) or a blank DVD. Windows 10 should re-activate on the same system without a key (the activation servers remember the hardware ID of activated PCs with Windows 10); when the installer asks for a key you can skip that by pressing...
If you right-click the Start button and go to "system" you'll get a report of some system specs. What's the CPU and memory amount reported there?

Then, do a fresh reboot, wait a minute or two for everything to load and settle, and open the task manager (right-clicking an empty spot on the taskbar provides that option, or CTRL-ALT-DEL). In the Task Manager, click "more details" on the bottom and look at the 'Performance" tab. Is any category showing high usage (CPU should be close to zero on an idle desktop, HDD also)

indian4

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

So my CPU is a Intel i7-3770 @3.4 GHz
Ram 16 gb
And is 64 bit windows 10

After rebooting it took was ableft open up the task manager and said applicaton host service is only thing running on cpu at 16%. Hard drive dis was near zero. This was whike things were still opening durine start up since it now takes 15-20 minutes for nvidia to startup since this happened.

What kind of drive is in there: traditional HDD or SSD? I can suggest tests to run on that:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

You can use the DOS version to create a boot disk which will test the drive (works on any make, not only Seagate). Download the .iso file, then use a disk burning tool to burn the image to a blank disk (use the option burn image, rather than just copying the file to a disk). Then that CD you can boot from, restarting the PC with the disk in the drive and pressing the appropriate button to go to the boot menu (on an ASUS motherboard, should be F8).

If the test shows errors, the drive should be replaced. Otherwise, I'd suggest a fresh install of Windows (back up whatever files you need saved, and have a copy of the drivers ready to install either by the motherboard CD or copies downloaded from the support website on a flash drive)

indian4

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

Can this be done in safe mode?

indian4

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

It is a traditional hdd

indian4

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

So I got a general failure of drive c. Should I rebackup my computer since it's been a while or are the current pictures corrupted. And what drivers should I have ready before switching to a new hdd/SSD? Guessing motherboard and graphicscard and windows but any other required before startup?

If you can get in and run the system, do a backup now. It's possible some data is corrupted or may not be able to copy due to drive errors but most of the files should work.

Drivers are installed after Windows is installed but yes, motherboard devices and gpu are the needed drivers. You can get the most recent version of 10 to install from this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the media creation tool and you can use it to prepare either a flash drive (8GB is fine) or a blank DVD. Windows 10 should re-activate on the same system without a key (the activation servers remember the hardware ID of activated PCs with Windows 10); when the installer asks for a key you can skip that by pressing "I don't have a product key." Once Windows gets online for the first time it will contact the activation servers automatically and should activate. You can check the system properties the same way you did before, where at the bottom of that page it shows the activation status.

If you can afford an SSD, it's a fantastic upgrade: the difference in boot times, load times for files and programs and the general feel of the system is profound. When you back up your stuff, look at how much total space is used on your drive (the drive view in This PC in File Explorer will show this). This should provide the minimum size of the drive you need though you should factor in a healthy amount of free space.

Solution

indian4

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

So I checked my backup drive and found that my computer is running great. I checked for errors of drive c through right clicking drive c >properties> tools> error checking. Not sure why Seagate said failure and now its fine?

indian4

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

I have a second hard drive hooked up that I forgot about that was going to be a backup but never set it up right as well as a hp printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.