[SOLVED] High end gaming pc lagging - Fortnite

Oct 10, 2019
Hi guys,
I've got a issue with playing Fortnite at the moment. Haven't really tested it in other games as I dont have one to play. Since patch v10.40 I've been lagging so much that the game is unplayable - like it dips down to like 20-30 fps and keep going up and down. It's really frustating.
My PC setup is:
  • CPU i7-8700 (non k)
  • GPU GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition 11GB
  • Motherboard ROG Strix z390-H Gaming
  • RAM 32GB 3200mhz
  • PSU 650W
I've had the computer for about two years now - and I've upgraded a lot since then. The GPU is the only part that I haven't changed since I bought it.
If anybody is great at analyzing graphs in Afterburner then it would warm my heart if you wanted to help me out. Since Epic Games released v10.40.1 (they mentioned that they fixed the hitches in that patch) but it didn't help me out at all. So I'm starting to think if the issue is with my setup.
Here's an image with all the data from afterburner and the task manager:
View: https://imgur.com/ViaEchJ

Thanks in advance!

Solution
The first thing is the coincidence with the patch. Would say to check with the Epic/Fortnite forums to see if similar issues are mentioned in association with it.

Graph-wise... not the best analyser here, but the only thing which seems to stand out are the drops in voltages, but barely any other reading seems to drop or spike corresponding to it. However, we can't map those drops to fps or frame times as those aren't amongst the things monitored in the graphs. (Though even if they were we're still stuck on the same information.)

Consider updating graphics driver, if you haven't already.

What is the PSU you're using? Have you used something like HWiNFO to look at the motherboard voltage readings to see if things look within tolerance?
The first thing is the coincidence with the patch. Would say to check with the Epic/Fortnite forums to see if similar issues are mentioned in association with it.

Graph-wise... not the best analyser here, but the only thing which seems to stand out are the drops in voltages, but barely any other reading seems to drop or spike corresponding to it. However, we can't map those drops to fps or frame times as those aren't amongst the things monitored in the graphs. (Though even if they were we're still stuck on the same information.)

What is the PSU you're using? Have you used something like HWiNFO to look at the motherboard voltage readings to see if things look within tolerance?

Solution
Oct 10, 2019

Thanks for answering! I’ve update the gpu drivers and I didn’t help. Yesterday I bought a new motherboard and the lagging is still the same.

Could the PSU be the issue here? Maybe it’s faulty? Or is it more possibly that the gpu is the problem here?

I think it’s a cooler master psu - not quite sure though, but it’s the same psu I have when I first bought it.

That response raises another question. A new motherboard, but is it the exact same model or different? Also true for the original post (which I missed). In this case did you clean install Windows? With a motherboard change it's recommended to do so to prevent any peculiar performance issues. This would be an explanation if true, though whether it's a direct cause of what you're seeing in Fortnite remains unknown.

Was thinking PSU earlier, but do use a hardware monitor to check on the voltage readings; it will help to at least tentatively rule out a power delivery issue.