High End Graphics and Monitors - What's the point?

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
There have been a number of improvements in graphics cards and hardware, but monitor improvement seems stagnent. Tom's has not published any meaningful monitor reviews since 2007. My trusty Viewsonic VX922 is several years old, but I haven't seen any reviews on products that deliver great gaming performance. What is the point of SLI, Crossfire, Quad Core, etc. if you get ghosting from average monitor performance?

jfurterer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
The lack of reviews may be do in part to a kind of unification across the LCD panel manufacturing industry. I've played on a Viewsonic VG2230wm, SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2493hm and an Acer X223Wbd. All advertise high brightness and 5ms and I've not noticed any ghosting in FC2, BF2, L4D or Company of Heroes. I know there is some there, all LCDs will ghost, but if I don't notice it then it's not a factor. Granted I don't run these games at the monitors native resolutions.

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
I'd at least like to see some kind of update testing 22 or 24-inch widescreen monitors. It just seems to me that all the effort in the computer hardware business is aimed at more powerful computers, particularly with respect to graphics cards, but now the monitors are sort of the graphics bottleneck. At least I think they are - not having any recent comparisons makes it difficult to assess.

jfurterer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I agree, however with response times the panels are pretty much there. But it would be nice to see some uniform brightness assessment and Gray to Gray speeds and what all the new super contrast ratio technology really means or is it all PR BS. I hear you.