Question High end PC lag spikes even on low settings or offline

Jun 12, 2019
Hi,
so far ive always gotten along quite well just by researching issues myself, but this time im out of ideas. I replaced most components so now im pretty much broke.

Heres the Problem:

While gaming im having lags / stutters. The games where its the most obvious are BFV and Dota.
In Battlefield: Msi Monitoring shows a drop in fps from about ~120 to somewhere around 50-80fps when the lags occur and gpu usage drops shortly from about 70/80% to about 35%. Cpu usage is moving around between 30-70% without obvious changes when the lags occur.
In Dota: CPU and GPU usage only hovers around 35% usage, so drops in usage are barely noticable, while fps drop from 120fps to 70fps when having those lags.
Cpu temp stays below 50 in dota and below 70 in BFV
Gpu temp stays below 60 in dota and below 75 in BfV

My System:
Rtx 2080
Ryzen 2700
Asus Rog Strix B350-I
Corsair sf-600
Gskill Trident Z 16gb
Samsung evo 970 1tb
Samsung evo 960 1tb
Acer Predator XB321HKbmiphz

What i tried:
Checked that no overclocking is active
Replaced Graphics card from AMD RX480 to rtx2080
Replaced CPU from Ryzen 1700 to 1700x, to 1800x, to 2700
Checked that no single core bottlenecking is the issue.
Replaced Mainboard for a new one 2 times. same model.
Reset bios settings, updated Bios firmware.
Tried 2 different PCIe Riser cables, also tried without Riser cable
Replaced Ram from Crucial Ballistix to Trident Z
Replaced Samsung M.2 960 evo with M.2 970 evo
Replaced Monitor with new one (same model)
Tried out 2 new Power supplies (same model)
Tried out undervolting, underclocking GPU
Replaced Dpp cables with 3 new ones, also tried out hdmi cables, but since then i can only get 30hz, i couldnt really test it properly
Replaced all power cables and tried out avoiding interferences by not using cable management under desk
Tried out connecting with 4 different Lan cables
Tried out connecting with wifi
Tried out playing offline
Tried low settings
Reinstalled Windows 10 4 times, with different versions and usb drives (of course also updated drivers each time)

Its such a long time ago, that i cant remember when the issue occured. I think it happened when i was working on making my cpu cooler fit in the case, so at first i thought i might have damaged the cpu or mainboard. But since i replaced all those parts and also the cpu cooler and temps are fine, i dont think its connected.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019
I suppose you are playing it online.

Also the FPS will drop when things are going on in the game, that is NORMAL.

BF 5 has it's issues, check their forum and see if there are any updates.

Happens online and offline. To be clear: I'm not complaining about fps fluctuations, there are definetly lags, sometimes short but very obvious stutters, sometimes it lags for about half to about a second.
the fluctuations in fps are just something I noticed is happening when the lags occur. Since it usually drops to about 70/80fps, there shouldn't be a half/whole second lagg happening