High End Pc not performing well

zatax.gamer.bp

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Well i fixed the part of not getting fps but now when i play games they all stutter every 5-10 sec but when i play them with Vsync the stutter is reduced by like 90%the temps and the usage of the GPU nad CPU are good when i play games with out Vsync the GPU usage is 90%+ and the CPU usage is like 20% and when i watch youtube sometimes it bugs.

http://imgur.com/a/G0ArQ

Pc Specs
CPU - Intel Core i7-7820x 3.6Ghz
GPU - Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OC
MB - Asus TUF X299 Mark 1
RAM - Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2400Mhz 32GB(8X4)
HDD - 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
SSD - 480GB Kingston A400
COOLER - Cooler Master Hyper 212X
FANS - Four Sickle Flow 120mm Green Led 2000rpm
CASE - Nox Hummer MC Black
PSU - Nox Urano TX 850W
My monitor is only 1080p 60Hz but im going to get a 4K in sometime

Solution
You want to enable Vsync to limit stuttering and tearing. As Aquielisunari pointed out without vsync enabled any frames past 60 FPS is to much for your monitor and you get screen tearing to boot which look pretty bad. Using vsync will stop both from happening for the most part. You won't stress your CPU/GPU as much because you are limiting the load to 60FPS. So yeah you won't get 100% utilization for the most part. I urge you to use the GPU horse power to increase image quality. You know you only need to make 60FPS with your monitor so turn up every graphics settings in game...ALSO manually set your filtering and AA to 16x by 8X or higher. This will work your GPU much harder. Find the highest overall settings your PC can handle while...

You aren't witnessing stuttering. That is screen tearing. It happens because your PC is high end and your monitor is not. Your GFX card is sending images faster than your monitor can handle them.

I gave a very rough explanation of your scenario over here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3512988/matching-monitor-system-optimal-performance-refresh-rates-sync-1440p.html#20141335

Let's assume I have a 1080Ti/7700K/16GB RAM/SSD. I am playing the original Sniper Elite. I am getting around 320FPS. That means my GFX card is sending 320 images to the poor defenseless monitor every second. It, in its frantic attempt to keep up....

You monitor doesn't have Gsync so I didn't paste the rest.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
You want to enable Vsync to limit stuttering and tearing. As Aquielisunari pointed out without vsync enabled any frames past 60 FPS is to much for your monitor and you get screen tearing to boot which look pretty bad. Using vsync will stop both from happening for the most part. You won't stress your CPU/GPU as much because you are limiting the load to 60FPS. So yeah you won't get 100% utilization for the most part. I urge you to use the GPU horse power to increase image quality. You know you only need to make 60FPS with your monitor so turn up every graphics settings in game...ALSO manually set your filtering and AA to 16x by 8X or higher. This will work your GPU much harder. Find the highest overall settings your PC can handle while maintaining 60FPS and hen vsync it there. This will give you the best experience. I have tried vsync and not at 60HZ/FPS...Even if I balance my GPU perfectly load wise to only be hitting 60FPS...I still see stuttering without vsync. So unless you have a gsync monitor (which you don't atm) vsync is your best bet at tear/stutter free gaming. It my not work all the time but it will work far better then not enabling it.

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

no...You still need to set vsync...anytime you don't the frames can tear and stuttering can also become apparent. Use vsync or get a Gsync panel if you want stutter/tear free gaming.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

In a perfect world using nvidia GPUs yes. Vsync will work just as well but at a locked frame rate to match your refresh rate whereas gsync can have a variable frame rate but still be locked to the monitors refresh rate up to 144hz/FPS (model depending some are only 90/120hz etc)

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Also 4K over 60hz really isn't much of a thing yet which is why vsync for 4K is just fine as you generally don't want to drop below 50hz/FPS for a smooth gaming experience (many games allow for 30hz/50hz and 60hz vsync though as stated less the 50hz tends to be choppy regardless)...so for high refresh rate gaming you need to drop to 1440P resolution with 120-144hz (ideally 144hz). Mainly because gysnc is not very effective at lower refresh rates like 60hz (mainly because you drop below 50hz and things aren't smooth) though it does exist in such packages.

Do you have a budget?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769 I think will help you get to where you want to be. No, it doesn't have G-Sync but with the increased refresh rate and resolution I think you will be able to max out settings through Nvidia's Control Panel(Global Settings) so that you won't have to change local settings in game. Those changes combined, I think will "fix" the issue.

Here https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160979%20600559797&IsNodeId=1&Description=G-sync&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36 are some G-Sync monitors.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Yeah I have a hard time recommending free-sync monitors to users with nvidia hardware. I have replied to several posts where nvidia users could not exceed 60hz on free-sync monitors no matter what they did. Some folks are fine but others are clearly having issues. If he can't get a g-sync monitor he is better off getting a regular old vsync (no free-sync) monitor to avoid any potential issues with free-sync and nvidia GPUs. Regardless the OP needs to sync his monitor and GPU one way or the other if he wants a stutter/tear free experience.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

Not just as well. I have a G-sync monitor I can tell you G-sync is about 5 times better than V-sync. When used properly, and by Nvidia's guidelines, G-sync will both cap the fps and be variable at the same time, like you said. V-sync just locks it, so going below results in crappy clunky images. The only time I can ever tell a difference in frame rates with G-sync is when my fps goes into the 60's (Like Skyrim being capped at 60) and that's probably only because of the 40fps difference. But once my eyes get used to that it's the same smoothness. 100Hz monitor. With V-sync only you can see it start to get sloppy as soon as it drops to about 90 fps.

OP. If you're looking at monitors and your budget allows it, I would highly recommend the Acer Predator X34 (or comparable Asus ROG Swift PG348Q). Your setup will easily handle it without it being overpowered and in my opinion, 21:9 2k is better than 4k any day. (I get about 110 average fps on Battlefield 1.) That extra space makes for a phenomenal gaming experience.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

Not necessarily. Using V-sync should help a lot, but ideally you would use G-sync. However it does depend also on the game you are playing. Your CPU isn't bad but you're at a huge disadvantage in some games over using say a 7700k. In well optimized games you should have absolutely no problem but in games that are not optimized well you're going to have some issues. You didn't mention what games you were playing but in certain games such as WoW or Starcraft II, your CPU would bottleneck the GPU because those games are notorious for being single-core heavy games. They use up to 4 cores, but they only barely use them, and the majority of the work is done by a single core. In that scenario you are stuck with your top single core speed. Which in your case is about 4.3GHz or so. It won't be a huge issue but it will even be hard for you to hit 100+fps at all times in those games, and even some instances it's even hard to hit 60. I have a 6700K OC @4.7GHz and I still run into problems in those games in raids and whatnot.

But no, in general turning on V-sync you shouldn't have any issues, but if you do it may be the game you are playing or the program you are running if you are only having issues with those. Your build is solid.

Another tip, never go off of "CPU Usage" which tells you almost nothing, especially with an 8-core/16-thread CPU. Most programs will never use all cores/threads, so it is best to check per core usage. If you see a program using a single core 80-100% and you are having frame issues, that means its a programming issue, not your computer.

kubacs

Honorable
May 7, 2018

What I Recommend is 144Hz Monitor With gsync and vsync and freesync