Question High end PC random freezes and stuttering.

Feb 16, 2021
I feel like I'm losing my mind here. So about 6 months ago I got a new PC and began noticing an issue, where my PC would randomly freeze and stutter for about 1-10 second(s). Sounds would get laggy and robotic as well as all visuals would get choppy. After scratching my head for a few weeks I fixed the issue by changing my PSU to an older one I had lying around. That fix persisted for about 6 months until last weekend, when my PC began stuttering yet again out of thin air.

So far I have done a clean install of W10 and updated all drivers I can. I have managed to catch the issue with Latency Mon, but that didn't really yield anything useful. I have recently moved and gotten rid of all my spare parts I had lying around, so I can't really try to replace hardware atm either.

Few noteworthy things.

I can't consistently reproduce the bug. Sometimes it occurs out of nowhere and sometimes when I try to launch an application for example. Once a really violent stutter happened right as I started my LatencyMon scan.

My hard drive(s?) make a noise when the bug happens. It sounds like they're booting up. Because of this, I've tried to run my machine with only my M.2 SSD, but that didn't fix the issue either.

Usually the stutters are pretty light. But recently one managed to crash both of my screens completely for a few seconds.

If I'm talking on discord while the stutter happens my voice gets "roboty" to other people aswell. And if I'm playing on a p2p server (not hosted by me) when the stutter happens, the whole server seems to lag for a second for all players on the server.

On task manager "System interrupts" takes up 100% of my CPU during the stutter.

The stutters seem to get more frequent the longer my pc stays on.

I am really stumped with this one. Is there a way for me to pinpoint the source of these errors?

Setup:
MB: MSI Z370-A PRO
CPU: i7-8700k @ 3.70GHz
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
RAM: 32gb DDR4
SSD: samsung mzvlb512hajq-00000
HDDs: st1000dm003, st1000dm010 & st1000dm006
PSU: Corsair VS650

ASK THE COMMUNITY