Question High end PC underperforming despite good score ?

May 18, 2019
Hello Everyone.

Recently I have purchased a new PC. 2080Ti Gaming X Trio, i9 9900k, 32Gb 3200 RAM.

TL;DR I have about 20-30 fps less than people with the same / similar setups with the same settings.

So overall the system is working great but the more research I did the more I have noticed that my setup is not performing as well as it should be for whatever reason.

As many other threads have suggested I did a userbenchmark.com test and surprisingly everything came out as it should have been.
( https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17018980 )

Despite that after watching several youtube videos of people with the same combo 2080Ti / i9 9900k my framerates are not going as high as theirs.
For example I have copied the same settings of a guy who was testing GTA 5 on 2080Ti and i9 9700k and in certain moment his framerates are reaching 170 while mine are sitting at 145 in the same location.

Here are examples from the same location (Left - my stats / Right - video stats)

eXZE6mP.png
msaKWMw.png

Note: The dude from the video is using i9 9700k while I'm using i9 9900k

Any ideas what could be causing this ?

Thank you in advance.

Abracus

Prominent
May 18, 2019
Hello Everyone.

Recently I have purchased a new PC. 2080Ti Gaming X Trio, i9 9900k, 32Gb 3200 RAM.

TL;DR I have about 20-30 fps less than people with the same / similar setups with the same settings.

So overall the system is working great but the more research I did the more I have noticed that my setup is not performing as well as it should be for whatever reason.

As many other threads have suggested I did a userbenchmark.com test and surprisingly everything came out as it should have been.
( https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17018980 )

Despite that after watching several youtube videos of people with the same combo 2080Ti / i9 9900k my framerates are not going as high as theirs.
For example I have copied the same settings of a guy who was testing GTA 5 on 2080Ti and i9 9700k and in certain moment his framerates are reaching 170 while mine are sitting at 145 in the same location.

Here are examples from the same location (Left - my stats / Right - video stats)

eXZE6mP.png
msaKWMw.png

Note: The dude from the video is using i9 9700k while I'm using i9 9900k

Any ideas what could be causing this ?

Thank you in advance.

I had a similar problem with my 2080.

First open Nvidia Control Panel

Then go to Manage 3D settings

Look for Power Management Mode

Change it to Prefer Maximum performance.

Try it out, helped me out a lot.

May 18, 2019
I had a similar problem with my 2080.

First open Nvidia Control Panel

Then go to Manage 3D settings

Look for Power Management Mode

Change it to Prefer Maximum performance.

Try it out, helped me out a lot.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately I have already made sure that all the power settings are changed.

In nvidia panel power management is set to Prefer Maximum Performance
Power plan changed to Ultimate Performance,
Uncapped all power options in BIOS for the CPU.

That's exactly why it's so peculiar to me because the power settings should be maxed out and my card is clocked to 2085 MHz Core and 7750 MHz Mem from the default 1950/7000 and the CPU is changed to All Core 4.7 GHz

May 18, 2019
OK so after a day of extensive research it got better.
I have removed all the drivers using DDU and reinstalling everything.
Made sure that everything is on performance mode
Removed a lot of control software and opted for Precision X1
Also turns out that RivaTuner lowers the fps or doesn't read it properly.
I also disabled bullshit features of my mobo and possibly the biggest one was disabling hyper threading on the cpu.
Now on average in the location of the video average fps is 155 so I'm still 10 fps away from the goal.

The guy from the video is running very stable 167 fps which sometimes even goes over 170 so there's definitely still something holding my gear back.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS