Question High End PC Windows Slow and non-responsive

davidgamer90

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Hi all, I have a very high end PC and all was well until I recently upgraded the CPU from a Ryzen 5 5600X to an Intel i9-12900K.

Rest of my specs are:
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws V red DDR4-3600 DIMM CL19-20-20-40
AMD 6800XT
Corsair CV750W

The problem is when gaming, EVERY single other program (e.g discord, web browser and the windows explorer) becomes very slow and laggy, sometimes even non-responsive, while the games I am playing are running completely fine with great performance.
Before I upgraded I never had this problem, and I have been scratching my head as to how an upgrade could slow down my performance.

I have tried reinstalling Windows 11 and also different drivers but nothing is working and I am slowly going insane from how slow everything gets when I open a game, since I have multiple monitors I need it to be as quick as it was before I upgraded.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Could it maybe be a RAM issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks so much!

davidgamer90

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I have a 1TB M.2 model: 1TB Kingston SA2000M8/1000G

I had the same drive before the upgrade, and there was no problems like this. I did tests on it and there were no errors, so I highly doubt it to be a drive problem.
It performs perfect at all times, right now I am leaning more towards a motherboard issue / ram issue that's causing it. I have no other theories of what the problem could be, it's very strange and almost impossible to figure out.

davidgamer90

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
So the problem has been found, thanks to another forum on this website, see the title below.
While in game the GPU is constantly at 99/100% and he claims that a fresh install fixed the problem, although I have already tried this and it didn't work... any else have any ideas?

Unusually High GPU Usage 100%, on Menu's, Ingame (FIXED)

So you had a working system with no issues with the R5 5600X.

Then you got a i9 12900K and issues started.

After that you made a clean install of Windows 11 + drivers and still have the same issues?

I would first go into the BIOS, disable the "E" cores of your 12900K and try again.

When you change motherboard + CPU always do a fresh, clean install of Windows.

davidgamer90

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I fixed the problem, I opened task manager and saw my GPU at 99/100% even while the game was paused. I then browsed the internet and found out that I have to change my FPS settings from unlimited to capped at any setting and it worked, the GPU usage went down straight away and everything is back to normal.