Question High FPS ~ 1080p 60Hz to 1440p 144Hz will decrease frametime spikes?

Diazx

Prominent
Jul 31, 2019
MOBO Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
GPU Zotac Geforce RTX 2070 AMP EXTREME EDITION 8GB
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600
RAM Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB 3000MHz
PSU Kolink 600W 80 Plus Bronze
SSD Samsung 250GB 860 EVO
HDD Seagate BarraCuda 2TB
MONITOR AOC E2460SH (1080p@60hz)

Yes. my PC is overkill to the max for this monitor but i will be upgrading to a 1440p 144hz Monitor (See below).

(Things I've done - windows performance mode on, all gaming bloatware on windows disabled, clear standby memory every 5 minutes, NVIDIA Performance power management mode, no overclocks)

So basically i configured and bought a brand new £1k custom-built gaming PC which is AMAZING (compared to my 10 year old PC).However, it has given me problems when gaming only... everything else seems to be smooth and work perfectly fine. Basically games stutter on my PC at high fps which includes but is not limited to: Shadow of the Tomb Raider (both DX11/DX12), Battlefield 1 (both DX11/DX12), Metro Exodus (both DX11/DX12), CSGO, Dying light and Call of duty Modern Warfare. Somehow GTA V and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 do not stutter at all, it is "buttery" smooth. Now I know that the cause of my frametime spikes are fps drops (when frames drop e.g. -20/30/50fps frametime spike occurs). One common solution is to cap the fps using an in-game frame rate limiter or RTSS. However, doing so does not help... fps drops still occur even at low caps (e.g. 90fps). VSYNC seems to remove all stutters however as my monitor has a refresh rate of 60hz this really isn't a solution with the massive 16.67ms input lag... now this leads to my question. Will upgrading to a Gsync (1440p) 144Hz monitor solve my frametime spike issues (caused by fps drops) or just make them more clear to the eye. Since using vsync at 60hz solved my issues... surely vsync at 144Hz will too, given i can keep that framerate up or enable gsync? Either way I'm looking to upgrade to the Dell S2716DG (1440p 144Hz) soon unless another monitor pops up for a great price.

Edit 1

I used afterburner to monitor my hardware while playing one game of CSGO Deathmatch with an uncapped framerate. I tested CSGO because it should be the LEAST likely game to cause issues on my PC.
It shows that the max CPU usage is on CPU1 92% and max GPU usage 54%
Sure I can cap my framerate (at 120/180fps to lower cpu usage), however, like i stated above that stutters still occur (maybe to a lesser extent not too sure). Also it should be noted that CSGO (>fps) stutters the most and shadow of the tombraider/dyinglight (CSGO < fps) etc the least. What i dont understand is how GTA V does not stutter at all... its one of the most demanding games i've played, far more demanding than CSGO!

View: https://imgur.com/cozZDsJ

View: https://imgur.com/PtnDJZV

View: https://imgur.com/HUfw2mA

I'd really appreciate if anyone can help me on this issue or has had similar experience in the past :)

It's the 144 Hz refresh monitors that were, prior to the Ryzen 3600 and above releases, one of Intel's biggest advantages over the otherwise wonderful Ryzen 2000 series CPUs...

Given very good GPUs (1080Ti, 2070, etc), the Intel 9700K/9900K could sometimes have a 30-40 fps (and 30-35%) lead at 1080P, well above the average framerate of Ryzen 2600/2600X....might not matter much when/if on a 100 Hz refresh monitor , but, 120 fps compared to 160 fps makes a big difference on a 144 Hz monitor...

Naturally, increasing the resolution and/or quality will eliminate the high fps peaks, likely smoothing out the entire experience. (some are happier with 80-100 fps range than 90-150 fps with monitor breaking/changing sync and causing stutter, perceived slow-down lags, etc...)