Question High Fps but almost unplayable

jordaan98

Reputable
Oct 10, 2018
Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem with almost any games I play in the fact that I'm getting a constant 60fps and even higher without v-sync and it not smooth at all, it varies in severity across games, for example, with v sync off battlefield 5 is okay but not great and a simple game like minecraft would run terrible. If I use adapative sync or v sync off in the nvidia control panel, it seems to be the reverse. This is across all games such as Monster hunter world, bfv, minecraft, killing floor 2, dying light, wreckfest ect. It's hard to explain, but with v sync on, its almost like its screen tearing ( I know, weird) and with v sync off or adpative battlefield 5 at 60 seems like 20fps with what could be mistaken as tiny amounts of screen tearing. Nevertheless, its easier to explain as very un smooth, I've tried recording with instant replay through nvidia but the video comes out much worse than it actually is.
Things i've tried:
  • reinstalling drivers with a clean install through geforce.
  • changing v sync settings, triple buffering, fpscap in and out of game.
  • reseating GPU.
  • Different mouse
  • Switching from a 1440p to a 1080p monitor.
Only things that make a difference is the v sync settings but as I said this just moves the problem around.

System specs,

Ryzen 5 2600
MSI X470 gaming plus
Zotac 1070ti AMP
16GB G skill trident z RGB xmp at 3200
240GB M.2 WD Black - OS install
500gb Samsung 970 Evo M.2 - Games install
Evga supernova 550w PSU 80+ gold

jordaan98

Reputable
Oct 10, 2018
stick with 1 thread
Hi,

I made a similar post before seen here (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/high-fps-but-almost-unplayable.3468186/ )

But it has since become even more difficult to solve.

I get 60fps on any game I play at 1440p easy, but it unbelievable stuttery, after trying what I listed in the previous thread and the thread dying I tried some more.

I took out the 1070ti and put in a 1050ti, and put the 1070 in another PC, the 1070 ran fine in the second pc and mine was still awful with the 1050, I then thought it might be my ram being O/C to 3200 (its rated for it) so I took both out and put 1 corsair vengeance lpx at 2133mhz and the problem still persists. All other components at stock freq. Which only leaves mobo or cpu, is this possible for these components to cause these issues? I should also mention it's not just games. Internet browsing is very juddery and so it video playback. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,