[SOLVED] High FPS But Choppy feeling Gameplay

Dec 19, 2020
Hi everyone! I have a couple questions hoping I can get some help with it. I recently purchased and installed a AsRock 6900 XT Phantom Gaming GPU in my PC, and despite reaching 100+ FPS in games the game feels choppy. I have used DDU to uninstall all previous drivers, and reinstalled the drivers, enabled VSync in games, Bios is up to date for my motherboard, drivers are up to date for the GPU. I am at my wits end with why my gameplay feels choppy and not smooth at all. Below is a list of my PC specs. Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 Pro

Intel i7-8700k @4.2 Ghz

4x8GB Sticks of Corsair Vengence RGB Pro Ram @3200 Mhz

ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX6900xt

EVGA 1000 Watt 80+ Gold

Solution
What I did was I used DDU after installing the new GPU, I am coming from a 2080, after the installation of the new GPU I went into DDU to remove the Nvidia Drivers. You got me thinking if I should remove the new GPU from the PC, boot it up without a GPU in, use DDU and remove all drivers off the PC. reboot it then install the new GPU. Thanks.
2080 is a good card, nice upgrade none the less

You won't need to remove the GPU at this point, its only needed for a flawless switch between one GPU to another. Now that its in there just DDU your AMD driver & reinstall it.

Make sure you know where your AMD driver is located- if not download it again
disable wifi/lan (windows will automatically download display drivers on its own...
If your monitor is 144hz and you get less than 144fps and have v sync on it's s going to stutter
That's not true. At least for my setup, it's not. I have a 1440p/144Hz monitor and I don't stutter with vsync on and fps lower than 144. Something else is the case here.

At OP: do you have msi afterburner to monitor performance? Check cpu usage for each core, not total usage.

HeroinBloodClot What resolution do you game on? What's your monitor's manufacturer and model? Which game do you notice the stuttering?

I'm asking about your monitor, because if you have a freesync capable display then you should enable freesync, and disable vsync. If you don't have a freesync monitor then you should still disable vsync, and enable Radeon Chill in the AMD software, in order to limit the FPS to 144.

That's not true. At least for my setup, it's not. I have a 1440p/144Hz monitor and I don't stutter with vsync on and fps lower than 144. Something else is the case here.

At OP: do you have msi afterburner to monitor performance? Check cpu usage for each core, not total usage.
It happens to me at least when I have Freesync off (rtx card but still). I didn't try with freesync on though. What's your case? Freesync on or off?

My main monitor is Asus XG32VQ and I use both freesync on and off, depending on the game and the reachable fps. If it's outside my freesync range there is no need for it to be on.
I almost never have stuttering and when I do it's my weak CPU reaching it's limit.

Dec 19, 2020
HeroinBloodClot What resolution do you game on? What's your monitor's manufacturer and model? Which game do you notice the stuttering?

I'm asking about your monitor, because if you have a freesync capable display then you should enable freesync, and disable vsync. If you don't have a freesync monitor then you should still disable vsync, and enable Radeon Chill in the AMD software, in order to limit the FPS to 144.
It is a Dell S2716DGR, it is 1440p at 144hz. It has G-Sync but does not have Freesync, one thing I failed to note is I heard a funny popping noise in the back of the monitor when I turned on the computer initially after installing my new GPU. Could it be possible the monitor itself is damaged? I will have to try on my other monitor, that is only 1080p but 144hz. Thank you.

Dec 19, 2020

I have CPUID Monitor which allows me to see total utilization across all cores. What should I be looking for? Thank you.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I have CPUID Monitor which allows me to see total utilization across all cores. What should I be looking for? Thank you.
you would want to see if hyper threading is being utilized, If you see that your 6 main cores are active, but your threads are not then hyper-threading may be disabled which will cause a performance hit

regardless... your CPU even with hyper threading enabled is bottle-necking your GPU

Dec 19, 2020
you would want to see if hyper threading is being utilized, If you see that your 6 main cores are active, but your threads are not then hyper-threading may be disabled which will cause a performance hit

regardless... your CPU even with hyper threading enabled is bottle-necking your GPU

I was wondering about possible bottlenecking, I was intending to get a Ryzen 9 5900x and pair it with a B550 motherboard to have smart access. I will enable hyperthreading in the bios and see what happens. Regardless I noticed in game my CPU is not at 100% utilization and my GPU oftentimes is not being 100% utilized either. Thanks.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I was wondering about possible bottlenecking, I was intending to get a Ryzen 9 5900x and pair it with a B550 motherboard to have smart access. I will enable hyperthreading in the bios and see what happens. Regardless I noticed in game my CPU is not at 100% utilization and my GPU oftentimes is not being 100% utilized either. Thanks.

Correct... if hyperthreading is not active then 100% utilization is not possible for the CPU. When the 6 main cores are active and utilized you will see a max of 50% utilization without hyperthreading.

As for your GPU I have no idea what games you are playing. You would need to play a pretty heavy title for it to saturate the card and unless you have a substantial CPU uplift like a 5900x then the CPU bottleneck alone isn't going to allow you to get full utilization of the card.

Check your game library and test spacifically with GPU intensive titles to see if you can get any games to utilize your card more.

Dec 19, 2020
Correct... if hyperthreading is not active then 100% utilization is not possible for the CPU. When the 6 main cores are active and utilized you will see a max of 50% utilization without hyperthreading.

As for your GPU I have no idea what games you are playing. You would need to play a pretty heavy title for it to saturate the card and unless you have a substantial CPU uplift like a 5900x then the CPU bottleneck alone isn't going to allow you to get full utilization of the card.

Check your game library and test spacifically with GPU intensive titles to see if you can get any games to utilize your card more.
I also did a little further investigating with frame times, even using RTSS and limiting my frame rate to say 60 FPS which should be easily capable for a 6900XT in any game at 1440p, my frame times were consistent, with a few high spikes here and there due to loading areas, but the jitter and stutter was still prevalent in game, I am going to hyperthread the CPU now. Thanks for the help, I'll keep posted if it helps with the stutters even slightly.

Dec 19, 2020

Still got a little stutter, after just running around in Farcry 5 I sat usually around 80 FPS mark CPU never peaked above 59% usage and GPU hovered around the 70% usage even with hyperthreading enabled, would this still be a case of bottlenecking? I intended to upgrade the 8700k anyways just wanted to make sure that the CPU is the cause of my issues right now. Thanks!

Dec 19, 2020

Also here is an attached list of the benchmarks on the PC, if this helps at all with diagnosing a bottleneck at all, I am still learning my way around this stuff.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37211272

Thanks again.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Still got a little stutter, after just running around in Farcry 5 I sat usually around 80 FPS mark CPU never peaked above 59% usage and GPU hovered around the 70% usage even with hyperthreading enabled, would this still be a case of bottlenecking? I intended to upgrade the 8700k anyways just wanted to make sure that the CPU is the cause of my issues right now. Thanks!
Its really low. I have seen a benchmark where the 6900xt gets 120fps 4K in Far Cry 5. What driver are you using? 20.12.1 is the latest driver ( I am using it ), but have you tried an older driver? The last one I was using was 20.9.2.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Why do you have a borderline full, dram-less SSD as your C drive?

Your 2 other storage drives - not counting the USB one - look to be on the slow side as well; possible hiccups with frequent file access while in game.
The problem may actually lay with these devices: the C drive and the drive the game library is on.

Also, if you use Msi's Rivatuner, uninstall it, as I've heard that can actually cause performance issues.

Reactions: M3rKn
Dec 19, 2020
Why do you have a borderline full, dram-less SSD as your C drive?

Your 2 other storage drives - not counting the USB one - look to be on the slow side as well; possible hiccups with frequent file access while in game.
The problem may actually lay with these devices: the C drive and the drive the game library is on.

Also, if you use Msi's Rivatuner, uninstall it, as I've heard that can actually cause performance issues.
Sorry about the USB drive, I forgot to remove it after I updated my bios off it. Also how can I improve the speed on these drives? I've looked into going to all solid state and NVMe drives over standard mechanical drives. Thank you for the input and bringing it to my attention nonetheless.

Dec 19, 2020
Its really low. I have seen a benchmark where the 6900xt gets 120fps 4K in Far Cry 5. What driver are you using? 20.12.1 is the latest driver ( I am using it ), but have you tried an older driver? The last one I was using was 20.9.2.
I am currently using 20.12.1 as well, I have not tried using an older drive. How do I go about installing an older drive onto the GPU? I'm still certain about upgrading the CPU to the newer Ryzen 9 series, but that entails another question off topic I have. I noticed with newer B550 motherboards they require a bios update for the processors to work, would I have to purchase an older Ryzen processor that does not require a bios update for the PC to boot initially? Or would I be okay downloading the bios onto a USB drive beforehand and loading it on when I boot the PC on after installing the new board and CPU. Thank you.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I am currently using 20.12.1 as well, I have not tried using an older drive. How do I go about installing an older drive onto the GPU? I'm still certain about upgrading the CPU to the newer Ryzen 9 series, but that entails another question off topic I have. I noticed with newer B550 motherboards they require a bios update for the processors to work, would I have to purchase an older Ryzen processor that does not require a bios update for the PC to boot initially? Or would I be okay downloading the bios onto a USB drive beforehand and loading it on when I boot the PC on after installing the new board and CPU. Thank you.
All the info on doing clean driver installs is in our sticky.

I forgot to ask, what GPU did you have before this?

Not all boards will require an update, some B550s will be ryzen 5000 ready. But some will not be ryzen ready so you should look carefully when buying. Safer bet is to get a board that has a bios flash option, and then yeah all you would need is a USB to update the bios if needed. It would probably be the only instance that feature would ever get used. But you would save way more money if you just upgraded your CPU to a 9900k, that's still a beast CPU.

So I am curious now. Did you switch from Nvidia? Because if you didn't DDU your drivers and only installed the new AMD drivers on top of the old Nvidia drivers then I am not surprised why you are having performance issues.

Dec 19, 2020
All the info on doing clean driver installs is in our sticky.

I forgot to ask, what GPU did you have before this?

Not all boards will require an update, some B550s will be ryzen 5000 ready. But some will not be ryzen ready so you should look carefully when buying. Safer bet is to get a board that has a bios flash option, and then yeah all you would need is a USB to update the bios if needed. It would probably be the only instance that feature would ever get used. But you would save way more money if you just upgraded your CPU to a 9900k, that's still a beast CPU.

So I am curious now. Did you switch from Nvidia? Because if you didn't DDU your drivers and only installed the new AMD drivers on top of the old Nvidia drivers then I am not surprised why you are having performance issues.
What I did was I used DDU after installing the new GPU, I am coming from a 2080, after the installation of the new GPU I went into DDU to remove the Nvidia Drivers. You got me thinking if I should remove the new GPU from the PC, boot it up without a GPU in, use DDU and remove all drivers off the PC. reboot it then install the new GPU. Thanks.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
2080 is a good card, nice upgrade none the less

You won't need to remove the GPU at this point, its only needed for a flawless switch between one GPU to another. Now that its in there just DDU your AMD driver & reinstall it.

Make sure you know where your AMD driver is located- if not download it again
disable wifi/lan (windows will automatically download display drivers on its own otherwise)
load windows in safe-mode & use DDU to make sure all the NVIDIA drivers are removed
re-boot in safe-mode & run the DDU again on the AMD drivers
re-boot in safe-mode & install the AMD drivers
once installation is completed (windows will have you re-boot) go ahead and re-boot again normally
now you can reconnect lan/wifi
re-boot again for good measure

The preferred method for future reference
download the new drivers
disable lan/wifi to ensure when you boot back into windows at any time windows will be prevented from automatically downloading GPU drivers
then load windows in safe-mode
in safe-mode DDU the NVIDIA drivers (you could do this twice for good measure)
POWER DOWN & SWAP the cards
with the new card installed power on the machine in safe-mode
into safe-mode install the AMD drivers
reboot normally to complete the installation process
reboot again & now connect to lan/wifi

Solution