High FPS But Extreme Stuttering

Dumbsize

Prominent
May 2, 2017
Hello,

I've seen a few threads like this but nothing suggested really solved my problem.
I bought a new PC in September last year, and for a while everything ran smoothly. After a few months I noticed my games felt choppier, despite high fps. I ultimately sent my GPU away to see if it could get fixed, but after some testing the company I bought it from concluded that everything was working fine. Two reinstalls of Windows later and I'm getting a little frustrated. This PC cost me £600 and can pretty much run nothing at a playable rate now.
So if any of you have any solutions, they would be much appreciated.

PC SPECS:

FX-8350
GTX 970
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
500W PSU

Solution
I have GTX 970. I had microstutter every 3 sec and lasted for 1-2 sec.
I tried every solution I could find on google.
No go. Then I found my own fix. Dont know it this will help you.

I started a game, Mad Max. Alt tab out of game, started ending one and one task in The task manager. Went in the game after each task I stopped. Until I stopped the one called microsoft (r) contacts import tool. Then everything was smooth. Now is no stutter whatsoever. Dont know if this will help you.

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Need more info.
What games?
What resolution?
8GB of ram, is that just one stick? If so it is running in single channel mode.

You need to download HWmonitor from CPU-Z. Check temps and usage for CPU, GPU and Ram.

Dumbsize

Prominent
May 2, 2017

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Almost all games I play there's at least a small stutter. It's very noticeable in games like minecraft, and CSGO where I am moving the mouse a lot, but as I said there's at least a small stutter in all games I play.

I play at 1920x1080.

It's 2 sticks of RAM, and yes I have checked it they are running in dual channel mode.

Carnaxus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
Minecraft stutters worse than other games? It might be one of your RAM sticks is going bad, as Minecraft relies heavily on having decent to copious amounts of RAM available. I used to run it on 4GB RAM on a laptop; it was a slideshow if I dared run more than ten mods. I upgraded the laptop to 8GB (thank you Toshiba for putting a removable cover just on the RAM!) and suddenly Minecraft was happy up to over a hundred mods.

Dumbsize

Prominent
May 2, 2017

Replaced the RAM already, and it's clear that's not the issue.
Thanks for the reply anyway.

Carnaxus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
I just reread what you said about when the games are stuttering. When it stutters, does the game entirely stop? Like is there any stutter in what other players and/or NPCs are doing? If it's just your view that's stuttering, it could be your mouse at fault.

Dumbsize

Prominent
May 2, 2017

I mostly play online games so I couldn't really say, but I've heard that the mouse could be the problem, so I'll try a new one tomorrow. Will update you ASAP.

XOrganic

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
I have the same issue with CSGO and PUBG at the moment. CSGO 160+ FPS and PUBG 60FPS steady and it still happens to me. The screen will stop moving for a split second and then resume to normal. it'll do this about ever couple seconds, kind of like its skipping or buffering. It does not make the game unplayable but, rather displeasing to look at knowing how many frames I'm getting.
I have installed the newest drivers as well and reinstalled Windows.
Parts List:
r9 390
16gb ram

XOrganic

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

I just fixed this probelm myself 5 minutes ago.

Do you have a CPU temp app downlaoded? Such as speedfan or MSI Afterburner? Uninitall those and it should fix it.

My problem was with F.lux. I did not uninstall it, I just disabled it

XOrganic

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

From what I read yesterday even if the program isn't running it can still. Cause this. I would just un install that program, restart and then see if the issue persists

Carnaxus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
I'll try uninstalling HWMonitor, although the odd thing is this issue only started after War Thunder's latest major update, and it's only in War Thunder.

Dumbsize, try doing as XOrganic suggested and removing any hardware monitoring software you have. I'm out of ideas for your issue, unfortunately.

Erik_46

Prominent
May 5, 2017
I have GTX 970. I had microstutter every 3 sec and lasted for 1-2 sec.
I tried every solution I could find on google.
No go. Then I found my own fix. Dont know it this will help you.

I started a game, Mad Max. Alt tab out of game, started ending one and one task in The task manager. Went in the game after each task I stopped. Until I stopped the one called microsoft (r) contacts import tool. Then everything was smooth. Now is no stutter whatsoever. Dont know if this will help you.

Solution

steamexpert4

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

steamexpert4

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017

TRENDING THREADS