Question High FPS but game looks choppy

Jul 5, 2021
Hello! I was wondering how could I fix my games stuttering and looking choppy even tho I have high fps in each one.
Here are my specs:
CPU: Intel I9-9900k
GPU: RTX 3080 Eagle from Gigabyte
RAM: x2 16gb Corsair RGB Vengeance
PSU: Corsair RM750W
Motherboard: Asus Z390-B
I have 2 SSDs, 1 is 1TB and the other is 500gb and a Corsair H100i Pump with 3 fans, watercooled.
I also have Windows 10 Pro installed.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jul 5, 2021
Im warding this thread, Im experiencing this with the rx 6800 and tried everything under the sun to be able to fix it, I believe you already basic trouble shoot correct? safe mode DDui and install drivers again

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Did you install the RAM in the correct slots?
Did you enable XMP/DOCP?
What monitor do you play on? Note that if you have 144Hz or more, you need to enable it from Windows display settings, else you will be gaming at 60Hz instead, and if you have 60Hz, your monitor won't be able to display more than 60 fps.

Jul 5, 2021
Did you install the RAM in the correct slots?
Did you enable XMP/DOCP?
What monitor do you play on? Note that if you have 144Hz or more, you need to enable it from Windows display settings, else you will be gaming at 60Hz instead, and if you have 60Hz, your monitor won't be able to display more than 60 fps.
I play on a 165hz monitor and yes, I have set it to the max.
The RAM is installed in the correct slots.
I will enable DOCP in a few minutes and come back

Jul 5, 2021
Can you run userbench please and link us to results page. Don't copy paste percentages, just link to results.

Do you get actual pauses in game or does visuals just look jittery, as in not smooth? What monitor do you have?
I just checked and yes there are fps drops, also sometimes my screen goes black and comes back on, so it might be the drivers, tho im not sure.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu turboing on avg at 3.15GHz doesn't look good and suggests it's thermal throttling, bouncing up and down in frequency. Would explain performance drops.

Keep an eye on temps and frequency running something pushing the cpu and monitor with Coretemp.

Jul 5, 2021
Cpu turboing on avg at 3.15GHz doesn't look good and suggests it's thermal throttling, bouncing up and down in frequency. Would explain performance drops.

Keep an eye on temps and frequency running something pushing the cpu and monitor with Coretemp.
Is there a solution to this?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check temps first and see where you're at. If it's in the vicinity of 85c or more then there's a problem.

Depending on ambient room temp, case air flow etc, 240mm might not be enough and a bigger aio cooler, 280mm, would be better.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Browser isn't enough to tell the story. Whilst gaming, gpu dumping hot air and cpu working harder, these are the circumstances you need to monitor.

Alt tab when stutters begin then see temps + frequency the cpu is running at.

Jul 5, 2021
Browser isn't enough to tell the story. Whilst gaming, gpu dumping hot air and cpu working harder, these are the circumstances you need to monitor.

Alt tab when stutters begin then see temps + frequency the cpu is running at.
The temp reaches a max of 76C when the fps drops are happening and the frequency is at about 4700MHz, all of this while gaming.

Jul 5, 2021
Hello! I was wondering how could I fix my games stuttering and looking choppy even tho sometime I have high fps.
Here are my specs:
CPU: Intel I9-9900k
GPU: RTX 3080 Eagle from Gigabyte
RAM: x2 16gb Corsair RGB Vengeance
PSU: Corsair RM750W
Motherboard: Asus Z390-B
I have 2 SSDs, 1 is 1TB and the other is 500gb and a Corsair H100i Pump with 3 fans, watercooled.
I also have Windows 10 Pro installed.

Any help would be appreciated!