[SOLVED] High FPS but laggy gameplay

Apr 24, 2020
Dear,

I have a problem with the recording. When I stream or record with OBS (Or streamlabs), I always have a problem with lagg. Even tho I have 140 FPS (as it shows in-game). It still moves sloppy and not smooth at all when using 60 FPS in the Video tab. Though my footage is perfectly smooth. When I change the FPS to 30 in Video (settings). My FPS in-game goes to 300 and it's smooth, but my recording or stream laggs. 140 FPS and 300 FPS shouldn't make any difference in smoothness because I have a 75 Hz monitor. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Here are my specs:
  • i7 7820X 3.6 GHz
  • 2x 16GB DDR4 1066 MHz
  • GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Solution
Does anyone know what the problem could be?
The problem is that you are not using shadowplay.

If you want to keep using OBS put the video on 30FPS but use the priority setting and put it on high that should make the recording have priority over the game and the recording should be smooth,if the game starts lagging again at 30FPS then the game just isn't made to work with anything else running in the background.

Another thing to try is to use affinity to confine the game to 12 threads and affinity to confine OBS to the remaining 4 (adjust as needed)

A similar thing is to try Battle Encoder Shirasé to lower the maximum CPU the game can use by 30% and the maximum that OBS can use by 70% (again adjust as needed) this way both...
Does anyone know what the problem could be?
The problem is that you are not using shadowplay.

If you want to keep using OBS put the video on 30FPS but use the priority setting and put it on high that should make the recording have priority over the game and the recording should be smooth,if the game starts lagging again at 30FPS then the game just isn't made to work with anything else running in the background.

Another thing to try is to use affinity to confine the game to 12 threads and affinity to confine OBS to the remaining 4 (adjust as needed)

A similar thing is to try Battle Encoder Shirasé to lower the maximum CPU the game can use by 30% and the maximum that OBS can use by 70% (again adjust as needed) this way both have access to all cores for better smoothness but they still keep out of each other's hairs.

Reactions: Ph0bic
Solution
Apr 24, 2020
So you suggest using different programs to enhance my performance. But shouldn't the performance be fine by itself normally? I have a pretty high end pc so it shouldn't be a problem right? And why does it show I have 180 fps but still have a sloppy view while gaming?

So you suggest using different programs to enhance my performance. But shouldn't the performance be fine by itself normally? I have a pretty high end pc so it shouldn't be a problem right? And why does it show I have 180 fps but still have a sloppy view while gaming?
Shadowplay uses the GPU for streaming so it doesn't mess with performance,if you use the CPU for streaming windows has no idea if it should make the game smooth or the stream,windows doesn't even know what it is you are running.

iSky005

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
I already know what the problem is, I have 2 screens, one with 75 Hz and one with 60 Hz which makes the gameplay lagg

Sorry, I don't get it. How is that the problem? (noob question here)

I have also two different refresh rate monitors and I'm experiencing the same thing when I record using Streamlabs, my game feels stuttery.