Question High Fps, Low ping, no Packet loss, yet Huge lag

Narcuti

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
So i have an i5—8400 , a 1050ti, 16gb (2x8)of ballistic 2666mhz ram and a tuf gaming h310m plus. Motherboard.
The problem is in all games, i have huge delay, in league of legends i click and the character moves 1 second or 2 after sometimes, and on shooters, i die before they peak or i hide behnd the wall, die al teleport back... games from, pubg, valorant, cs, etcetc... worst video i got is shoulder peaking for , 0.1 seeconds and dying, in death cap sayd i took 7 aK bullets... imagine an ak shooting that fast... also when i headshot them, the bullet passes either trough the, body and then comes back to register, super delayd, or i headshot and it registers as a body shot... iv tryed different pcs with diff specs..... i have vodafone ftth 500/100...the isp sayd it aint theyr problem, and i just went from semi professional fps player to, being the, worst in every lobby, its unreal how bad it is... on paper , speeds are allways 500/100, no packet loss, no jitter, no buffeebloat, low ping, but on reality, unplayable... hope someone can help or il be kiked from my team... ( ofc i use cable, to the modem, ive changed that one too, no diff).
Ow almost forgot to say, my brother was a professional medal of honour player, when we had adsl, and then we got coax and he dropped from number 10 in europe to one of the worst players in europe... we changed to the coax after adsl ( adsl we where cheating good ) , the coax was the same problem as i have now , but worst, id dc from league games every 5 minuts, lasting 3 minuts, i could see all tht was happening but couldnt move, so we changed to ffth and tht stopped but the movement an lag continued... ( adsl(cabovisao) was great but we changed cause it was 0.7 megabts, so we couldnt be on youtube or anything else at same time, then coax NOS company 100/100 , then ftth vodafone 500/100, imagine 0.7 being better then 500...)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021
Although I don't know the answer, you can run a trace route to see how many network hops it takes to get from your modem/router to the league of legends server for example. This may give you an idea if the ISP has anything to do with it, which I suspect they do.

open CMD as administrator and type: tracert 104.160.141.3

That IP address is the league of legends Europe server address (I'm assuming you're in Europe because of Vodafone seems to be located there)

This is the league of legends North American server just in case: 104.160.131.3

Post a screen shot of the results here and maybe someone can help from looking at it. Also, you didn't mention a router being in your network but just a modem. If your modem is configurable at all (not likely but maybe) make sure there are no QOS settings turned on. If you do actually have the modem hooked to a router and then the router hard wired to your computer, then check for the same QOS settings in the router. In theory, QOS should not cause this because the nature of it is actually to try and prioritize traffic for critical devices listed, but if it does not see your device prioritized, it could make things worse.

Narcuti

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
In the tracert u told me to do, 1rst hop 1ms my ip , 2cd rev.vodafone.pt 4ms, third rev.vodafone.pt 4ms , forth, 4ms (195.10.57.9), fifth 17ms (195.2.31.142 and 6th 17ms( 62.115.175.8). In total there are 30 hops, but none of the rest from number 7 to 30 have any ping, it just says request timed out., ( for some reason i cant post the print screen here)

Ow, i have a normal connection wich is basicly the modem/router of vodafone, its 2 in 1 and it pretty much has no QoS Option nor none of that

Uusually if i ping somewhere also, there is never ping fluctuations or anything, ping allways good, choke, good, packet loss 0, jitter, 0, speed good upload good, problem is when i play any game at all.. my bro was playing TFT ( league of legends game thing) and, he got atacked on the game, the round passed, and then he died in his next round... like 1 whole round of delay, we can see everything happen but then its like the internet remembers, ow he died, lemme roll back here... this is constant, i cant even watch most of the times, streams, it stopps all over the place, no matter what server it is, imagine having these problems with 500 mgb download speed and 100 upload right... ( thanks for trying to help btw i really appreciate it ) @SikSemper

Last edited:
Your problem is if you see no ping spikes, no packet loss, etc then you do not actually have a network issue. The problem is being caused by something else.

Make sure you leave a ping run to say 8.8.8.8 in the background while you run the game. The results can be very different when you test a idle connection compared to one being used.

I am not sure why people always blame network for lag in games it is actually more commonly caused by video driver settings. You could try to turn everything down to the lowest level and see if it makes any difference as a first test.

Dec 1, 2021
Yeah I would agree, run a continuous ping on 8.8.8.8 (CMD: Ping 8.8.8.8 -t) and run the game windowed if you have to and watch for any inconsistencies while you experience the lag. If the pings stay pretty low and doesn't fluctuate then it may not be a network problem at all. I would also watch the performance tab of task manager while in game and try to watch for anything reaching 100% to determine if something other than network is causing it. Just note that 100% GPU usage is probably okay, but anything else may be an issue.

Narcuti

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
the pings and all of that are good pings all over, they dont fluctuate, i'v had different graphics cards, so it aint that, iv had people coming to my home and play and they also notice the huge lag... also, it lags outside of games aswell, as in streaming, impossible to watch most of the times, and sometimes even youtube videos dont load at all, as in, not even the images of the videos load, so its that bad.... im blaming the network, cause i had adsl first and i had no lag once so ever... as soon as i changed to fyber the lag appeared, and i only changed cause i had to... i had 0.7 mgbts download speed, i could play perfectly but if someone else would be on the internet i would have 2000 ping obvisouly, so i changed into fyber and then it all went to sh......
When i play at my friends house i have 0 lag, i pass from being on the bottom of the tabble and dying behind walls, dying before they even show up on my screen, to absolutelly owning, its not a small difference its a difference from having 3 kills, to 25+ each time
In league games i would see everything move, and i wouldnt be able to move, then after like 5 seconds everything would move at same time, as in, spells, from enemies , etc. I would agree it wouldnt be internet problem as it all seems fine "on paper" but its really unplayable, everyone of my friends notices this, and they'v tryed to help aswell, and it just didnt work... a friend of myne had the same problem, only for a few days on his internet, then it got fix'd by the provider, but they dont know the awsner to what they did pretty much...

@SikSemper @bill001g Ow and i almost forgot, my cpu rarelly works up to 100% (when gaming obviously) , its usually 70 or lower, i have a i5 8400

Last edited:

Narcuti

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
Change internet providers if yours can’t fix the problem

I had NOS, it was coaxial, and in that one, i couldnt even play league of legends, it would crash literally every 5 minutes, for 5 minuts or so, and then i could play 5 more minuts again xD, i changed to this one, doesnt happen that, but its the constant lag... i only only change into meo, but im sure same thing might happen... @Kona45primo

Dec 1, 2021
What ISP is your friend using when you go over? I’ve looked around online and it looks like a lot of people are having issues with Vodafone and gaming. I know that’s not a popular opinion but are there any other options in the area other than what you had previously? Maybe you can talk to Vodafone and see if they can change your external IP and re provision/replace your modem and see if it helps.. but if they can’t do that or it doesn’t help I would start looking at different ISP options, unfortunately. If there was something majorly wrong with the installation of the internet service (physical connections) you would likely have a lot of packet loss and bad speeds, high ping etc. so I have to believe that something is going on behind the scenes with Vodafone.

Narcuti

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
What ISP is your friend using when you go over? I’ve looked around online and it looks like a lot of people are having issues with Vodafone and gaming. I know that’s not a popular opinion but are there any other options in the area other than what you had previously? Maybe you can talk to Vodafone and see if they can change your external IP and re provision/replace your modem and see if it helps.. but if they can’t do that or it doesn’t help I would start looking at different ISP options, unfortunately. If there was something majorly wrong with the installation of the internet service (physical connections) you would likely have a lot of packet loss and bad speeds, high ping etc. so I have to believe that something is going on behind the scenes with Vodafone.

Erhmm... he has Vodafone too, the other one has NOS, so... yeh... it literally just happens here...iv told them to come here and see what was wrong, i showed them videos of me dying and then enemies appearing like 2 seconds after, of me shooting somewhere, enemies not there, and then they die and teleport back, and they sayd and i quote " speeds are fine and ping is fine it aint our problem its yours" , even after seeying that, even after i show them the streaming service doesnt even work cause it stops all the time, they sayd "all is good in our end" ... just funny that in my friends house all of that works perfectly, just here doesnt work nothing at all... to me it just feels like my gaming packets are just getting queued somewhere, and the response times are just huge.,.. like im playing with 300 ping.... its just baaaad.... unfortunatly i cant change ISP , because MEO is like double the price where i live at, so it aint worth changing, since the last time i changed nothing different happened... btw iv changed modem/router (wich is the same machine) and its the same... and what would the external ip change? may i ask... iv saw somwehere someone talking about the same problem, and they sayd they had a shared ip or something like that, they changed into public and it was fixed... got any ideas about that? im pretty sure ftth is already a dedicated internet type of connection right? but i know the ip thing is something different @SikSemper

Dec 1, 2021
Erhmm... he has Vodafone too, the other one has NOS, so... yeh... it literally just happens here...iv told them to come here and see what was wrong, i showed them videos of me dying and then enemies appearing like 2 seconds after, of me shooting somewhere, enemies not there, and then they die and teleport back, and they sayd and i quote " speeds are fine and ping is fine it aint our problem its yours" , even after seeying that, even after i show them the streaming service doesnt even work cause it stops all the time, they sayd "all is good in our end" ... just funny that in my friends house all of that works perfectly, just here doesnt work nothing at all... to me it just feels like my gaming packets are just getting queued somewhere, and the response times are just huge.,.. like im playing with 300 ping.... its just baaaad.... unfortunatly i cant change ISP , because MEO is like double the price where i live at, so it aint worth changing, since the last time i changed nothing different happened... btw iv changed modem/router (wich is the same machine) and its the same... and what would the external ip change? may i ask... iv saw somwehere someone talking about the same problem, and they sayd they had a shared ip or something like that, they changed into public and it was fixed... got any ideas about that? im pretty sure ftth is already a dedicated internet type of connection right? but i know the ip thing is something different @SikSemper

I suppose there is a chance that your computer is on the same IP address as something else in your network, which could cause something like this. You would most likely have seen errors in a consistent ping if that were the case.. try CMD: Ipconfig and make note of what your Ethernet adapters IP address, subnet mask, and gateway is. Go to Ethernet adapter options and right click your Ethernet adapter and click properties, then select IPv4 and click advanced, select “use the following address” and type everything in that you got from your ipconfig but change the last octet of your IP address to something else. Example: what it was before - 192.168.0.25, what it could be after - 192.168.0.47

Doing this will potentially take it off of the same IP used for something else (if that is what is happening)

just pick a random number on the last part and most likely you won’t conflict with anything on your network unless you have tons of devices. I doubt this is the fix but it’s worth a shot. There are other ways to scan for duplicate IPs including software and ARP commands in CMD, but just try to assign it to something else and see if it helps first.

DHCP should not allow this to happen under normal conditions, but it does happen from time to time if the DHCP server does not actually ping addresses before assigning them. It likely won’t help anything and if it doesn’t, set it back to “obtain automatically”. Just trying to rule out anything at this point.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021
Also just out of curiosity, go to killping.com and download that and give it a try. It’s a VPN client designed to work for gaming. I would be curious if it helped at all. It’s probably not a long term solution but it would help determine if the problem is at all on your end. Even though your friend has Vodafone as well, he could have a completely different set of network hops that he goes through and that is all determined by the ISP. There’s even been cases of people that use Vodafone having the wrong location provisioned (they think you’re somewhere that you’re not). Really curious if Killping will take away all the rubber banding and lag you’re having. You may have higher average ping using it, but at least it would tell us something if the terrible lag went away.

Narcuti

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
iv tryed the killping thing, didnt make a diff, iv tryed a random vpn, dont remember what it was, and the streaming program started working way better(wich means it started working aha ), even tho the speeds where lower, cause it was trial version, but the gaming part didnt change tho... iv done that before the ip thing, and it didnt make any diff, i also changed into a higher number within the range of the ips possible... tbh iv tryed most of everything to fix this... i was talking about something else, with the public ip thing, i think its like a more direct connection then the private one or shared one i dnow how tthat works exactly tbh

Dec 1, 2021
iv tryed the killping thing, didnt make a diff, iv tryed a random vpn, dont remember what it was, and the streaming program started working way better(wich means it started working aha ), even tho the speeds where lower, cause it was trial version, but the gaming part didnt change tho... iv done that before the ip thing, and it didnt make any diff, i also changed into a higher number within the range of the ips possible... tbh iv tryed most of everything to fix this... i was talking about something else, with the public ip thing, i think its like a more direct connection then the private one or shared one i dnow how tthat works exactly tbh

Yeah I’m kind of lost on why it would be doing it unless there is something happening with your hardware/windows settings. It seems like everything network related is good, as far as we can tell.
Try turning delivery optimization off by:
  1. Select the Start > Settings> Windows Update > Advanced options.
  2. Select Delivery Optimization. Disable it.
Also you can try and see if windows auto tuning is on and affecting anything by going to CMD and typing: netsh interface tcp show global

if it says “normal” for Receive window auto-tuning level then try disabling it by typing: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

You can re-enable with the same command but replace disabled with enabled.

I think I am out of ideas after that until you can get something like a laptop that can run a game you have issues with or one of your friends computers over to prove that it is network related or not. If it doesn’t do the same thing with your friends known good computer, then you have something going on in windows/hardware.

Narcuti

Commendable
Feb 24, 2019
Already did thath one before man and nothing changed.... its just in this house, even theyr pc's happens the same thing as it happens on myne, in my house only, on theyrs its back to normal... its not pc related, cause if it was, in my friends house i would have the same problem, and i dont, there it runs smoothly...
Il even give another example of how badly it works rn, on league of legens, u can flash (wich is like an instant teleport forward) and then trow an ability.... on my friends house i do that with no problem at all.... here, everytime it trows the grab backwards, i gotta wait before i can trow the spell, cause it recognizes im still where i started at... and even in movement, i click to move and it moves half to 1 second afterwards, u can imagine how laggy that feels when it comes to atacking , comboing , etc...

Last edited: