Question High FPS Microstutter?

Aug 9, 2018
I have an 8700k ,rtx 2080, 32 gb of ram 3200mhz(temps are good, generaly unde 60C under heavy load) I want to focus on overwatch but also get this in other games(same story down to 144fps-tested it just moments ago and it all checks so it isn t just overwatch). My sistem is capable of outputing 300fps+ for the most part, but when i try capping the fps at 240 the game feels horrible, like it is running at 100 fps(i just call this microstutter cause i don t know what elese to call it), this keeps going until i lower the cap all the way down to 144, when it kinda feels good again but has moments when it does not, the only fix i found is to cap my fps at 143, but that is not a good permanent solution.Also might be related : nomatter the fps cap, it alwats drops for a second or so to minus 10-7frames and it couses a stutter(fpr example even if i set my framecap at 60 it will still drop directly to 50 and cause a little stutter and then go to 59-60 again) This happends every 2 or 3 minutes. The things that i think might cause this are the mobo, cpu, or power supply, since i have changed my ram and gpu after this issue occured.
  • I have overclocked my cpu and it ran @1.25V 4.7GHz for abouth a few weeks, but when a new game came out and it was new, it often crashed due to my oc, so i got it running back on stock speed. Maybe the cpu was damaged during the oc process or the mobo, i honestly can t think of something else that might caise this other than the cpu mobo or psu. -
  • I also point at the psu cause it is kind of chep and the fan sound awful but i dont see high draws off of it on it(Evga BQ 750W bronze+), it might actually be failing or smthing cause the fan sound like a fucking pipe-cutting tool whenever cpu usage is > 40%.
The strangest part is that 300 fps feels good, it would make more sense if everything over 144 felt bad, idk.
PS: on further testing 144 and under take just more usage of the thing that causes this ,but during more intensive moments it s still there. I would say psu that is probably failing already or cpu-hope not cause it costed me almost 400$.
Also : on cpu z test the cpu at 100% draws only 88.9 wats and is bellow the avg score with like 14% less copared to the avg stock 8700k, this is pointing more and more at the psu. If anyone ever experineced this, it s just ine of the things that get under your skin and are there, they don t make the game unplayable ,but you knwo you paid good money for your hardware and you just want it to work the way it should. Ty <3, btw ty for everyone who still uses this forum and not reddit at alltimes xD

Last edited: