High GPU and CPU temperatures

JeiTai

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Hey,

I'm having some problems with my computers temperatures.

My parts:
FX-8320 at base clock 3,5GHz with Scythe Katana 4 cooler
R9 390X Asus DC2
8GB of Crucial Ballistics Sport DDR3 1600MHz
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0
Phanteks Eclipse P400S case with 2x120mm fans on top and 1 in the back as exhaust and 3 in the front sucking air in.

I get idle temperatures of 41 degrees celsius for the CPU and 51 for the GPU.
In CS:GO I get around 65 for the CPU and 70 for the GPU
In more demanding games like Battlefield 4/Hardline, Ark: Survival Evolved, Fallout 4 I get 70ish for the CPU and 95ish for the GPU and then my PC will eventually turn itself off.. unless I lower the graphics settings.

What can i do to lower the temperature inside my case? Is my CPU cooler not good enough?
I know these parts are like the worst you can possibly have but it is what I have to deal with :/
Do I have to get water cooling? If I do, recommendations are welcome :)

Any help is highly appreciated, and feel free to ask for more details that I did not mention here!

Solution
Actually 88°C sounds high, but not really for AMD GPU's. AMD GPU's run hotter in general when compared to nVidia GPU's. Every review that I've read with your card or similar has the GPU in the 86 - 87°C range, so you are right in there. Of course temps are also affected by ambient temperatures. These reviews are conducted in controlled environments where the ambient temps are kept in the 22°C range. So I'd say you have nothing to worry about with your temps. You CPU looks very good especially since it's an AMD FX CPU.

So I don't think there is much left that you can do to improve your temps. Well short of watercooling. Again though, 88°C for your GPU is quite common for that GPU, they are designed to run that hot.
How long has it been since you thoroughly cleaned out your CPU and GPU heatsinks? This is often the cause for temps rising over time.

If it's been awhile, used canned air and blast the dust and cruft out of the them. Please be cautious when doing this, you don't want the fans to spin as the bearing can be damaged by having them spin too fast. So find someway to keep them from spinning without pushing down on them as this could damage them as well. I find it's best to put something (even my finger) in between the fan blades so the fan can't turn.

JeiTai

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
I cleaned my cpu heatsink like 5 weeks ago, and i havent cleaned my gpu since its only a couple of months old and it looks like theres no dust in the heatsink. I will clean them again just in case. Thanks for the reply :)

sla70r

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
What are you setting your graphic card fan to when it gets working hard ? My bet is your fan speed is far too low when it's under a high stress. Do you have afterburner program to monitor GPU Temps ?

JeiTai

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Alright, so I finally cleaned my GPU heatsink and i got a new cooler for my CPU. CPU temps got down to max 50 degrees when playing BF4 and much lower in other games.
GPU temps, however, are still quite high.. max. 88 degrees celsius when playing BF4. The temps went down by about 5-10 degrees for every game.
I think that my card is running too hot anyway.. My GPU fans were running at about 2700rpm which is already very loud and i dont want it to be any louder..

Thanks for your replies :)

Actually 88°C sounds high, but not really for AMD GPU's. AMD GPU's run hotter in general when compared to nVidia GPU's. Every review that I've read with your card or similar has the GPU in the 86 - 87°C range, so you are right in there. Of course temps are also affected by ambient temperatures. These reviews are conducted in controlled environments where the ambient temps are kept in the 22°C range. So I'd say you have nothing to worry about with your temps. You CPU looks very good especially since it's an AMD FX CPU.

So I don't think there is much left that you can do to improve your temps. Well short of watercooling. Again though, 88°C for your GPU is quite common for that GPU, they are designed to run that hot.

Solution

JeiTai

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014

They are running at 65% 2650rpm when my GPU temp gets close to 90 degrees.