High GPU/CPU temperatures

LastHaze

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I recently got a new graphics card and PSU for my desktop and now my temperatures appear to be high, but I am not sure whether these are safe or too high (and looking for advice on how to best lower them).

Specs:
Intel i7-3770 processor
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970

I tried this out on Starcraft 2 with max settings, WoW with max settings, and Lords of the Fallen with max settings (sadly don't currently have any more demanding games). All ran at around 80-100 fps. In all of these cases, the GPU and CPU were at or under around 70% load. Playing all of these caused my CPU temperatures to be at around 68-73 degrees (according to the software I am using to track them they hit a max of 80 degrees, but this must have been really brief as looking at the stats roughly every 30 seconds I never saw it go above 73 while playing for multiple hours). My GPU temperatures were at a stable 79-80 degrees the entire time (never going higher than 80). The GPU fan was running at around 75-80% speed.

So is this too high for my CPU/GPU to be running at constantly while gaming (especially since I would guess more demanding games that use more % load would likely push this up even further)?
If so, what is the best way to lower these? I am using a fairly cramped case which is likely the reason why the temperatures are so high. I also currently have a fairly bad stock CPU cooler, so some friends told me that getting a new CPU cooler might drastically lower overall temps? (Due to the GPU potentially also heating up from the CPU). Alternatively, I was also thinking of opening up my case more or drilling some holes in the side of it (with internal components taken out while I am doing this of course), as currently my case is very enclosed and only has 2 regions for air to circulate in/out (both of these regions have fans on the inside next to them though).

TRENDING THREADS