[SOLVED] High GPU temps+low framerate

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
Hi, I'm posting a follow up on a thread I posted recently. My issue is that I'm getting temps of around 80c as well as lower FPS than I'm supposed to be expecting in all games except for Rainbow Siege? A few days ago I was getting low fps and high temps in rainbow as well but thanks to someone on reddit I scanned for viruses on malwarebytes and sure enough I found 21 adware hijacks. Now this fixed my problem in Rainbow but not in other games. Please help if you know a solution. Thanks.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700X (Stock cooler)

EVGA FTW GTX 1070

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3600MHz CL18

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

WD_Black SN750 500GB SSD (C:)

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

EVGA B5 650W 80+ Bronze Modular PSU

Musetex Phantom 903-D6 Case

Killer WiFi Card

Solution
Ok, so that means that the drivers / fan profile are all configured properly. If you are still concerned about the temps and confident that your hardware skills are good enough you could attempt to apply new thermal paste to the cooler and thermal pads to the RAM (if needed).

I was googling to see if you have thermal pads on your memory and I came across this:

EVGA - EVGA Thermal Pad Mod Request

Please enter your serial number below to check to see if your product came preinstalled with an optional Thermal Mod Kit and BIOS. (Qualifying products shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 have these updates preinstalled.)

Updates:
  • Updated fan curve for reduced PWM temperature

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU used in your build? I'd ask you to go into BIOS and see what version you're on for your motherboard. Cross-reference that number with the version of BIOS listed on MSI's support site If you have updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version.

What OS version are you on at the moment? At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2. You might also want to see if you disassemble the GPU to reapply the thermal paste on it with something by Noctua or Arctic.

Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. You will need the latest drivers downloaded from Nvidia's support site priot to installing. Before you begin the installation, disconnect from the internet so the OS doesn't download it's own drivers.

Reactions: AntonyLovric

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
How old is the PSU used in your build? I'd ask you to go into BIOS and see what version you're on for your motherboard. Cross-reference that number with the version of BIOS listed on MSI's support site If you have updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version.

What OS version are you on at the moment? At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2. You might also want to see if you disassemble the GPU to reapply the thermal paste on it with something by Noctua or Arctic.

Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and manually install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. You will need the latest drivers downloaded from Nvidia's support site priot to installing. Before you begin the installation, disconnect from the internet so the OS doesn't download it's own drivers.
I'm on Windows version 19042 but I don't think that's the one you're asking. BIOS version is 1.3 and I thought about updating but I'm very hesitant about it. I have tried reinstalling drivers but not the way you described it. And the PSU I got it in December 2020.

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
You can use a vendor (EVGA Precision) tool or something else to bump up the GPU fan speed, but Lutfij has the right idea around checking the GPU thermal paste. (Any chance the cooler was knocked / bumped?)

What are the other relative case temps?
When my fans are at 100% it makes 0 difference because the card boost the crap out of itself as long as temps allow it. I also don't understand how my temps can be 40c in one game and 80c in another. I don't know about case temps but my CPU is usually 50-60c during load.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Running fans at max (100%) should drop the temps UNLESS there is a problem with heat transfer. In the game that runs 40C, if you change the fan speed higher does the temp drop? If you've tried to change the fan curve / profile and the case has good ventilation and the temp is still 80 (which is a little higher, but not abnormally high). Dumb question, when was the last time you cleaned the GPU cooler? (any large dust bunnies in there?)

ps. Don't spin the fans with compressed air (you can fry the PWM sensor)

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
Running fans at max (100%) should drop the temps UNLESS there is a problem with heat transfer. In the game that runs 40C, if you change the fan speed higher does the temp drop? If you've tried to change the fan curve / profile and the case has good ventilation and the temp is still 80 (which is a little higher, but not abnormally high). Dumb question, when was the last time you cleaned the GPU cooler? (any large dust bunnies in there?)

ps. Don't spin the fans with compressed air (you can fry the PWM sensor)
Yes the temps are dependent on fan speed in Rainbow Six. And I got the 1070 when I built my PC in December so I don't think there will be any dust build up. I would be super happy if you stuck with me through this since its super frustrating lol. Do you suggest I try resetting my PC to factory since there was removing malware solved my problem partially?

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Not sure what resetting to factory will accomplish. If the malware was removed, it shouldn't be affecting your system now.

If you follow the steps before (Use DDU to clean up, install new drivers CLEAN) that will rule out software influences.

Antony

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
Not sure what resetting to factory will accomplish. If the malware was removed, it shouldn't be affecting your system now.

If you follow the steps before (Use DDU to clean up, install new drivers CLEAN) that will rule out software influences.

Antony
Alrighty I tried what you said but I'm still having the same problem.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Ok, so that means that the drivers / fan profile are all configured properly. If you are still concerned about the temps and confident that your hardware skills are good enough you could attempt to apply new thermal paste to the cooler and thermal pads to the RAM (if needed).

I was googling to see if you have thermal pads on your memory and I came across this:

Please enter your serial number below to check to see if your product came preinstalled with an optional Thermal Mod Kit and BIOS. (Qualifying products shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 have these updates preinstalled.)

Updates:

Check out the link above, your card might be able to be fixed with a BIOS update and thermal mod kit:

https://www.evga.com/thermalmod/thermal_pad_mod_installation_guide.pdf

Solution

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020

Updates:

Check out the link above, your card might be able to be fixed with a BIOS update and thermal mod kit:

Okay, I'll try that but if you don't mind answering, why am I getting completely normal temps in one game and then double those temps in another?

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Different temps in different games. Tough question to explain. What are the two games? They can use different rendering engines (Unreal, Unity, CryEngine) and APIs (DX11 vs Vulkan) and even in the game, the way the developers design has an impact.

Rainbox Siege, has an option for Vulkan or DirectX, does that make a difference?

Vulkan API Testing on Live PC (ubisoft.com)

The Vulkan API provides advantages over DirectX 11 that can help Rainbow Six Siege improve graphical performance. Moreover, Vulkan as a newer API has benefits that will help to reduce CPU and GPU cost, as well as support for more modern features that can open the door to more new and exciting things in the future. With patch 4.3, we’ll be releasing Vulkan to live for PC for broader testing.

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020

Updates:

Reapplied thermal paste and seeing better temps in non-affected games. I called EVGA and they said I don't qualify for the pads. However when I was disassembling the GPU I saw that there were in fact sponge like squares on the VRAM. Maybe the previous owner already added thermal pads?