Question High GPU Temps

jacogoodman

Honorable
Apr 9, 2018
My MSI 1070 Ti Titanium 8G has been running hot ever since I got it 1 year ago. It reaches a stable 82C during gaming periods which is about 15C higher than it should be given reviews and testing of the card that I have seen. My case is not full of dust and has very adequate airflow. For anyone who has much greater hardware knowledge than me, is there a way that my GPU temp sensor could just be reading wrong or do you think I just got a poorly built card?

Every modern GPU has a "target" temperature that it tries to maintain by manipulating fan speeds (and past a certain point, clock throttling). 67C is lower than I'd expect for a target temp. Most people agree that GPUs are ok in the 70-80C range. Most GPUs I've worked with have a target temp somewhere around 75C +/-

I've discussed this with others before, but depending on the time remaining on your warranty (and whether or not this would ACTUALLY void your warranty) I had great success removing my GPU's heatsink and re-applying TIM. Lowered my temps from 85C to 73C and fan speeds decreased significantly (roughly 1000rpm reduction). The process isn't any different that re-applying TIM to a CPU, you're just using half as much TIM since the chip is only about half as big. The heatsink on the majority of GPUs is still just held on by the 4 screws around the chip itself. The rest of the screws are used for holding the backplate etc on.

jacogoodman

Honorable
Apr 9, 2018
When you reapplied TIM had you already had your cards for a considerable amount of time and noticed them getting hotter? Because this issue hasn't slowly gotten worse since I got it due to TIM degradation or dust buildup, the GPU got to 82 right out of the box if put under full load. Basically I'm just afraid that reapplying TIM wouldn't help because the chip was getting hot under the new TIM from the factory.

jacogoodman

Honorable
Apr 9, 2018
I decided to just do it anyway and it worked! I really never would have thought about re applying the paste myself but it took less than 30 minutes and the card is now at 75C under max load. Thanks so much for the tip! I'm sure this voided my warranty but oh well, I dont think I'll need it anyway as I take pretty good care of all my parts. Honestly its worth it just to not have to ship my card to MSI and wait a month for a replacement.

Sorry. To answer your first question, my card pretty much always ran hot. But it was getting worse after owning it for 1.5 years.

Glad this helped. I was in the same boat, I was outside the "return to seller for full refund" period but still under warranty. As it stood, I didn't have much of a leg to stand on for warranty replacement (card getting too hot? Doubtful) plus the hassle and possible shipping cost of returns. My decision was made for me.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS