[SOLVED] High gpu usage when streaming. Causing skipped frames.

Sep 6, 2020
I currently have a rtx 3070 and a ryzen 7 3700x in my pc. When I stream on obs w nvidia encoder settings my gpu usage is 94% - 98%. My cpu usage stays in the 60-80% range. This makes my stream skip frames all over the place. I switched the encoder to x264 and it brought down the skipped frames by a good amount but they still remained. This is when I stream call of duty Cold War and call of duty warzone. Any ideas on what can be causing the skipped frames? I also have very good connection so I don’t think that’s it.

Solution
What's the temperature on your system (idle & streaming )
Even though you think you have a "very good connection", it could drop frames due to fluctuating bandwidth.
Unless you run a quality upload test on your connection, you cannot be sure if it is a "very good connection"

You could configure OBS (Advance Settings) to dynamically change the bitrate of the stream to manage bandwidth congestion and stop dropping frames.

Are you streaming over Ethernet or WiFi?
Streaming over WiFi could cause the frame to drop.
Sep 6, 2020
Go into Power Options and under Preferred plans, select AMD Ryzen High Performance.
Could you post the rest of the components on that system.
I tried that earlier and it did not help with the skipped frames.
My build:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Rtx 3070 asus dual 8GB
Gigabyte x570 aorus elite Wi-Fi
16 GB trident rgb ram 3000 mhz
750 w Evga psu
2 TB hdd
1 TB Crucial p1 nvme m.2 ssd
Lian li pc O11 dynamic
Nothing has been tuned besides the xmp profile on the ram

What's the temperature on your system (idle & streaming )
Even though you think you have a "very good connection", it could drop frames due to fluctuating bandwidth.
Unless you run a quality upload test on your connection, you cannot be sure if it is a "very good connection"

You could configure OBS (Advance Settings) to dynamically change the bitrate of the stream to manage bandwidth congestion and stop dropping frames.

Are you streaming over Ethernet or WiFi?
Streaming over WiFi could cause the frame to drop.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS