[SOLVED] High idle temp but great load temps

winks42

Respectable
My cpu stays around 40c on idle after I re applied thermal paste with thermal grizzly. My load temps are 67 on cinebench and 57c while in bfv. I have a cryorig h7 with a Noctua fan on it.

Solution
winks42,

• What is your ambient (room) temperature? Standard or "normal" is 22°C or 72°F. Ambient temperature affects all computer temperatures.

Is "idle" really idle? Only 1 or 2% CPU Utilization under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager?

Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to high idle temperatures can be disabled.

• How many Watts? Power saving features (Adaptive Vcore, C States, SpeedStep & Speed Shift) enabled in BIOS? Windows Power Options set to "Balanced" and Minimum Processor State set to "5%"? Lower...

mtracy1991

Reputable

Specs for your PC include case and what fans exist within the unit. You may need more air flow.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
winks42,

• What is your ambient (room) temperature? Standard or "normal" is 22°C or 72°F. Ambient temperature affects all computer temperatures.

Is "idle" really idle? Only 1 or 2% CPU Utilization under the "Performance" tab in Windows Task Manager?

Any software activity will show some percentage of CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, where unnecessary Tray items, Startups, Processes and Services that contribute to high idle temperatures can be disabled.

• How many Watts? Power saving features (Adaptive Vcore, C States, SpeedStep & Speed Shift) enabled in BIOS? Windows Power Options set to "Balanced" and Minimum Processor State set to "5%"? Lower power consumption means lower Core temperatures.

The idle temperatures shown above are sampled at 22°C ambient using a 240mm liquid cooler with pump and fans on low. Average Core temperature is about 3°C above ambient.

CT :sol:

Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Well there it is ... "idle" isn't really idle at 6% CPU Utilization. It's enough background activity and power dissipation to prevent you from reaching lower Core temperatures that are closer to ambient.

Ambient at 70°F is about 21°C. Although you have a decent cooler, your idle temperature at 35°C is 14°C above ambient, because 6% CPU Utilization isn't "idle".

CT :sol:

TRENDING THREADS