[SOLVED] High idle temp, decent workload temp (Ryzen 5800x)

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
A couple of days ago i build my new system. And it's been running great.
One thing however baffles me. My Ryzen 7 5800x are idling at a very high temp (45-55) according to Ryzen Master and HWInfo.
Yet when i play games the temperature doesn't change that much at all.
Playing RDR2 at max settings in 2k. My temp rarely goes above 60 even after a 5 hour play session.

Cinebench pushes it to 85 degrees and it stays there for the 10 min i chose to run it for during multi core testing. And then almost instantly returns to 50-55.

I have not overclocked anything.

I use the corsair H150i Pro XT
Including 6 other fans configured like this.

Case: Lian Li o11 Dynamic
Case fans: Artic P12 PWM Pst

Top: exhaust through aio

Side:3x intake

Bottom:3x intake

I've tried re applying the thermal paste. Reseated the Aio, adjusting fan speed manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

45-55 Celsius = 113-131 Fahrenheit

60 = 140 F

85 = 180 F

Solution
D
"Came from a i7-6700K" drop all your assumptions and knowledge about how CPU idling works.

"High" idle temps on Ryzen is nothing to worry about. Ryzen concentrates all tasks/background services onto one core while the rest are sleeping, unlike Intel who uniformly distributes loads across all cores. On Intel, you see a few degrees increase on each core at idle. On Ryzen, you see about 45-50 degrees on a single core while the rest are asleep. The temperature you see in Ryzen Master isn't the whole CPU temp, but only the hottest core.

There is nothing wrong here, don't use Clocktuner, don't undervolt your chip as you will lose performance for no reason (high voltage on low loads is by design for Ryzen architecture), 5800X is...

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Idle seems good to me. Im sitting at 50 often when under 5% load.

85 seems on the hot side for me under load but modern processors will use additional temperature headroom to boost higher clock's.

I think it's kind of like a car in sports mode always ready to kick off really fast for fast spikeloads

Reactions: Jaegeren

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Idle seems good to me. Im sitting at 50 often when under 5% load.

85 seems on the hot side for me under load but modern processors will use additional temperature headroom to boost higher clock's.

I think it's kind of like a car in sports mode always ready to kick off really fast for fast spikeloads

Okay, thanks for your reply, came from an i7 6700k that tended to idle at 35-40, so i was a bit concerned, obviously there are major differences between the two, like extra cores.

Yeah the cinebench test got me really worried. Though it did not move a celcuis above 85, and it stayed there for the rest of the test. Did not go much lower or higher.
And as i said, instantly went back to 50-55 after the test.

I guess i have lost the silicon lottery then. Might be a worse binned chip?

Though i guess pulling all the hot air through the aio doesn't exactly help the CPU temps.

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
You can try going lower voltage with using clockturner 2. Needs some fiddling around but makes your cpu use much less power under load and this gives little more headroom for boosting even.

D

Deleted member 2720853

"Came from a i7-6700K" drop all your assumptions and knowledge about how CPU idling works.

"High" idle temps on Ryzen is nothing to worry about. Ryzen concentrates all tasks/background services onto one core while the rest are sleeping, unlike Intel who uniformly distributes loads across all cores. On Intel, you see a few degrees increase on each core at idle. On Ryzen, you see about 45-50 degrees on a single core while the rest are asleep. The temperature you see in Ryzen Master isn't the whole CPU temp, but only the hottest core.

There is nothing wrong here, don't use Clocktuner, don't undervolt your chip as you will lose performance for no reason (high voltage on low loads is by design for Ryzen architecture), 5800X is the hottest running chip in Zen 3 and that's by design. It's designed to go up to 95C. You have all eight cores, on a single core complex, on a single die, compared to the 3800X who has two core complexes on one die. You're all good.

"My temp rarely goes above 60 even after a 5 hour play session." is a good sign that's nothing wrong. High temps during heavy all core tasks like Cinebench is completely expected. My 3900X is pushed to ~75C in Cinebench, while rarely going past 65C in the most demanding games, and it sits at 40-50C on idle. Keep in mind Zen 2 runs cooler than Zen 3, Ryzen uses thermal headroom to boost higher, and especially Zen 3 which is the most aggressively boosting Ryzen generation so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jaegeren
Solution