Question High idle temperature AMD 9950x

Sergius

Prominent
Oct 21, 2022
Hi everybody. What function in the bios (ryzen 9950x, mother of asus) is responsible for reducing temperatures in idle time? It's 60 degrees now, at least 10-15 degrees lower. This is my first time dealing with AMD, thanks to everyone who answers the case.

Idle temps don't mean a lot, its the load temps, 60C is warm for a chip not doing much, but the fans also usually slow down to keep noise in check and 60C is harmless to it. Load temps, boot up a demanding game and see where the CPU sits at after a while, Stress test it, AMD chips are vary aggressive with its boosting, so its not uncommon to see temps peak in the high 80c range, you want to make sure its not throttling below base clock, its fine if its doesn't sit at max boost at 80c range, thats just how these chips work, the cooler the chip, the more likely it will stay at peak boost speeds longer.

Also during stress testing, if you hit 90C, don't mean you need to panic, or even rush out to buy a better cooler, if its throttling below base clocks of 4.3ghz at a consistent load or during gaming, you have a problem you need to figure out, by getting a better cooler, increasing fans speeds, But if its not and still hits 90C, A better cooler would help and I would recommend a better cooler personally to keep peak performance up, but don't mean your cooler underperforming with how these chips boost.

Not a lot of people understand this and think there stuff is broken or inadequate of cooling their chip and or give incorrect information, which is understandable.

Anyway, thats all the info I can give you as you have not provided what cooler you are using, case, ambient temps and fan speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Hi everybody. What function in the bios (ryzen 9950x, mother of asus) is responsible for reducing temperatures in idle time? It's 60 degrees now, at least 10-15 degrees lower. This is my first time dealing with AMD, thanks to everyone who answers the case.
Just how much of "Idle" is your alleged Idle ? Any more than 1% of CPU usage is not real idle. Another thing is what program you use to measure temperature and which part of CPU it's measuring.

Sep 17, 2024
This is pretty normal. An offset mounting kit could in theory lower idle temps (and load temps) as its been shown to be pretty effective with Noctua coolers.