[SOLVED] High idle temps (and voltage) Ryzen 5 3600

DutchT

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Hello people,

I recently installed a Ryzen 5 3600 into my system, this goes paired with a MSI B450 PRO GAMING AC motherboard. I've noticed the idle temps are fairly high and weirdly jumpy. They go from 35-67. However when stressing the CPU it only goes to 67 degrees celcius... The idle voltage seem to be fairly high around 1.38 however I'm not sure if this could be the root of the problem. Is there anyone that has faced this same issue?

EDIT: Its reaching those voltages on its own, haven't changed any voltage variables in bios or ryzen master.. Or any settings related to cpu performance for that matter.

Also: Updated bios and all other drivers and bios gives a voltage of 1.31 🤔 [Should i adjust this or is the problem elsewhere?]

Solution
that's normal behaviour for the Ryzen 3000 series.

chances are you have some program running in the background that requests some single core performance and AMD's aggressive boost algorhythm is cranking up the voltage and clocks for light loads like that thus causing a brief heat build-up in the chip since the transistors are so small heat can't dissipate immediately.

under heavier and multicore loads there's less voltage involved thus keeping the temps in check.

as said, that's regular behaviour. you can play around with a small voltage offset like -0.1 or -0.05 which usually doesn't impact performance but cools the chip down a bit.

chances are you have some program running in the background that requests some single core performance and AMD's aggressive boost algorhythm is cranking up the voltage and clocks for light loads like that thus causing a brief heat build-up in the chip since the transistors are so small heat can't dissipate immediately.

under heavier and multicore loads there's less voltage involved thus keeping the temps in check.

as said, that's regular behaviour. you can play around with a small voltage offset like -0.1 or -0.05 which usually doesn't impact performance but cools the chip down a bit.

Solution
Apr 5, 2020

My voltages are at 1,375 with fluctiation here and there and its insane ive got no idea how to safely put the cpus voltages as they should be... amd states that the voltages can range from 0,200-1,500 but mine just stays constant 1,375 any tips for this?

My voltages are at 1,375 with fluctiation here and there and its insane ive got no idea how to safely put the cpus voltages as they should be... amd states that the voltages can range from 0,200-1,500 but mine just stays constant 1,375 any tips for this?
You must have come from an Intel system, 1.375v is not "insane" but should drop considerably if all power saving features are on. For starters, look at your windows power saving plan and set Max processor state to 5%. At true idle voltage should drop to or under 1v.
Other thing to try is to set negative voltage offset in BIOS of -0.05 to 0.1v.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Apr 5, 2020
You must have come from an Intel system, 1.375v is not "insane" but should drop considerably if all power saving features are on. For starters, look at your windows power saving plan and set Max processor state to 5%. At true idle voltage should drop to or under 1v.
Other thing to try is to set negative voltage offset in BIOS of -0.05 to 0.1v.
1,375 is the avrg and it goes to nearly 1,500 and 1,550 is the absolute max it comes dangerously close to the limit and ive tried all the powerplans and editing myself without a effect.

1,375 is the avrg and it goes to nearly 1,500 and 1,550 is the absolute max it comes dangerously close to the limit and ive tried all the powerplans and editing myself without a effect.

1,5V is usually the top voltage when a single thread is loaded fully and you're enabling some auto-OC features. in multicore loads it should go down to 1.3-1.2V
try setting a small offset in your Bios, also drops temps by a few degrees under load while not impacting performance in any noticable way