[SOLVED] High idle temps (custom fan curve)

Nov 17, 2018
Currently i am running a gtx 1070 ti in a pretty open case with 6 fans and relatively positive air pressure. My issue is that my idle temps tend to hover around 36 to 40c with a relatively aggresive fan curve. Temps in my house are at 70f on average or colder. Its not a reference card but it does have a pretty [strike]xxxx[/strike] cooler from pny. Ive replaced the thermal paste in the hopes that this would help. Its unfortunate that the thermals are so garbage because i can push a decent overclock when i put the pc outside. I know its the card itself, due to testing and running 2 970s in sli with better temps and a 1060 6bg that all run roughly 10c cooler on average. Really I'm just trying to figure out if i should attempt to rma the card, or find a way to put a different heat sink and cooler on the gpu. I also noticed when i took the heatsink off the second time, the thermal paste was much thinner in the center of the chip compared to the outside. Btw the pny card does not have a blower style cooler but it does use a reference pcb. Any suggestions would be great. Also wondering if a +225 core clock and +450 memory clock is decent enough to be worth keeping with good temps.

<MODERATOR EDIT FOR PROFANITY!>

THIS IS A FAMILY-FRIENDLY WEBSITE ... PROFANITY IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN AND IS A BANNING OFFENSE!

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!

Solution
If I was to guess, the cooler on the card isn’t seated properly or the plate that makes contact with the gpu itself isn’t completely flat, meaning that it doesn’t make sufficient contact (hence the bad spread with the paste)

adam.edward.palmer

Honorable
May 30, 2018
If I was to guess, the cooler on the card isn’t seated properly or the plate that makes contact with the gpu itself isn’t completely flat, meaning that it doesn’t make sufficient contact (hence the bad spread with the paste)

Solution
Nov 17, 2018
That is kind of what i figured. Ive seen people lap their cpu heat spreaders due to them being uneven. But i have a feeling that it will not be so easy to get done on the heatsink itself. Considering how cheap the cooler itself is, it would not surprise me if that is the issue. I'm still interested in doing a heatsink/cooler swap. Maybe from a compatible card, using a reference pcb but i am unsure what is out there. I know the 1070 and 1080 basically use the same reference pcb.

adam.edward.palmer

Honorable
May 30, 2018

Maybe try contacting the manufacturer and try to get a replacement cooler. If the PCB is reference then you might be able to track down a compatable cooler from different brands that might fit.

TRENDING THREADS