[SOLVED] High idle temps with the Arctic Freezer 7 X

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
So I bought and installed the Freezer 7 X. My CPU is an i7 6700 non K.

I am not doing anything right now and temps are in the high 30's and low 40's. Say around 37-41 degrees Celsius.

Is this too high? Should I remove the cooler and install again? I am using MX4 paste.

Last edited:

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Those are decent idle temperatures. How warm is the room the system is in?

Don't know but the temperature of the house is 65 degrees Fahrenheit. That's from the wall mounted thermostat downstairs. The room isn't hot. I live on the east coast and it's pretty cool here today.

The problem is when I would leave my PC on during the day and comeback to it after a few hours my idle temps with the stock intel cooler would be about 24 maybe 25 degrees celsius. of course after using the PC a bit those temps would go up a bit.

I tried out RDR2 and I could seem temp in the high 70's and 80's with the stock cooler depending on where I was in the game. Not constant of course. With the Freezer 7 X I think the highest I saw was 66.

This is my first aftermarket cooler. I have been using the intel stock cooler since 2016, till today.

When I first installed it the temps were kind of high. Like 40's and I even saw 51-52 degrees celsius.

Like I said this is my first cooler that isn't the stock intel cooler. I was worried I may have applied too much thermal paste or not enough.

The cooler came with some paste already applied. I think was some kind of cheap stuff like you see on the stock intel coolers. So I cleaned it off and applied a thin line of thermal paste on each pipe like Arctic recommends for direct contact coolers.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
Try these:

https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

https://www.passmark.com/downloads/petst.exe

Keep in mind that the cooler you are using is not a major upgrade from the OEM heatsink. It is only marginally better.

Yeah. I was trying to install a Esports Duo but I had some issues with the plastic backplate. It wouldn't fit on my motherboard for some reason. I contacted Artics customer help via email and sent pictures of it and all. No one knew what was going on. I only got the cooler cause my temps were a bit high in certain newer more demanding games.

I guess I have to keep that in mind. It's only a $20 cooler. It's not the Esports Duo. I will use that on an AMD build I have planned in the future.