High Idle Temps?

Wes333

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Hey everyone, I have a Amd Radeon R9 390 Series GPU and it usually runs at around 61 degrees idle and around 80 under load. I always thought these temperature were normal until I saw people saying their r9's run at around 54 degrees idle. Why are my temps so much higher?

BTW I have two monitors.

Solution
If it is displaying on 2 monitors, it really isn't at idle. But I get your point. Also, the difference in case size/design and air flow can easily make that 7C temp difference. As well as the make/model of R9-390. And the ambient temp of the environment you are in. Has your card been abused? Run for long periods of time gaming at near max usage? Might be time for replacing the thermal paste.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If it is displaying on 2 monitors, it really isn't at idle. But I get your point. Also, the difference in case size/design and air flow can easily make that 7C temp difference. As well as the make/model of R9-390. And the ambient temp of the environment you are in. Has your card been abused? Run for long periods of time gaming at near max usage? Might be time for replacing the thermal paste.

Solution