[SOLVED] High internet speed, but high ping?

markz98

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013
Whenever i try to play a game online i get very unstable ping. I have 500+ mbp/s download and 500+ mbp/s upload speed so that's not the problem. But when i use a certain VPN my ping stays stable? I'd rather not pay lots of money for a VPN and rather find out the root cause of this. My ping will basically go from 40-150 and inbetween every other second. If anyone has a clue what is going on i'd be very grateful. This is not a computer issue either, and not a router issue so yeah.

Solution
I suspect the answer is going to be that you are going to have to keep using the vpn.

The issue likely is there is a problem between your ISP and the game company ISP or some other issue in the path your ISP takes to the game company ISP. When you are using a VPN you may have a good path to that data center and the VPN company may have a different path to the game company ISP than your ISP has.

To a point you can figure this stuff out with tracert and some other tools. You are looking for the hop where the problems occur. You can also if you work at it get information on how ISP interconnect using tools from ISP called lookingglass.

Still it is all for educational use only. The only thing you can change is the equipment...
I suspect the answer is going to be that you are going to have to keep using the vpn.

The issue likely is there is a problem between your ISP and the game company ISP or some other issue in the path your ISP takes to the game company ISP. When you are using a VPN you may have a good path to that data center and the VPN company may have a different path to the game company ISP than your ISP has.

To a point you can figure this stuff out with tracert and some other tools. You are looking for the hop where the problems occur. You can also if you work at it get information on how ISP interconnect using tools from ISP called lookingglass.

Still it is all for educational use only. The only thing you can change is the equipment in your house and maybe if you are a very lucky person you can get different ISP at your house. You pretty much send all your data over the wire to your house and receive all the data over the wire there is nothing you can do once the data reaches the ISP network.
'
Using VPN many times does not matter. You many times will have the same connectivity issue to the vpn company as the game company or the vpn company has the same connection issues to the game company. It is worth trying but it only really works well for ISP that have issue with their connectivity. If you are on large ISP many times you never leave their network because the game company is buying service from them also.

Last edited:
Solution
geographically is the game server very far from you? across oceans?

ISP will sell the bandwidth even if they don't have the pipes for it. One in my area sells a 1G and 600Mbs plan, but you rarely get 300Mbs. This is really bad for real-time services. congestion on ISP pipes shouldn't be a sacrifice to advertise ultra high rates in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS